Vitesse gearbox tunnel

Puglet1

Hi. My gearbox tunnel is the original Cardboard type. The black seal running along its base has gone hard. Can anyone suggest what I can use in its place? Should I leave the old seal In position and look for soft square rubber type seal to sit on it?

10 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Puglet

The Club sells a Gearbox Tunnel Seal Kit, which includes the seal and a replacement set of screws, washers and keyhole plates.

Page 14 of the Parts and Accessories book:-Part No. GTSK @ £35

Ian

Hi Ian. Thanks for that 👍. I seem to have a problem accessing the Parts and accessories book. Each time I look for spares I log into the main TSSC site, go to “shop” and find very few products. Am I missing something?

It's all in the search!, it's a bit iffy. However I just went to the shop via the  tab at the top of the forum screen, typed gearbox tunnel and the first thing up was the tunnel seal kit, now £42! There is a separate log in for the shop to get the members discount. I wonder if we still have to do that now we have a members badge?

Doug

the  club shop suffers from many problems   a phone call is the best way talk to Julian 

i have always found the seals sold by many to be totally hopeless and far too expensive 

I have on many bought a slap of foam from dunelm and cut and adhered strips to thesealing flanges  this fills all the wonky gaps and compresses easy

and costs peanuts , it doesnt have to be closed cell foam  its compressed pretty firmly when bolts down 

if the cardboard tunnel is sound  use it  many plastic ones still need a bit of fettling to fit 

line it with dynamat or similar is a good idea  the orig was plastic bags of filler  and generally are past their best if they have survived 

Pete

• Like 1

I found a cheap option for making a tunnel gasket and a material that   was very easily available -under my feet, you could say,

from B&Q interlocking garage foam floor tiles.The material is about ideal in terms of thickness and compressibility.

It would be some months before I was due to put the tunnel in, so I tested strips of the material in engineoil/gear oil,and petrol/gear oil.

The petrol had evapourated from the mix  after a couple of months and the material showed signs of collapse but there  were no signs at all of any ill effects to  the oil samples even after more than year of immersion.

CF98E71E-4AA5-4E80-969F-4A2C54F20C8D.thumb.jpeg.d93a7dd867b31360d5013654da9a295d.jpeg

The pattern- the little raised bits,can  be removed by using a bench grinder but probably not necessary.

A single tile gives a vast amount to play with until you get the best shape for the job.

Glued in place with impact adhesive (over self adhesive sound /heat reflecting material):

E44F736F-EC51-496B-A32D-4CADE2EDACD7.thumb.jpeg.6c930aaf081dbfbba1e205e3a9b7aff2.jpeg

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

It's all in the search!, it's a bit iffy. However I just went to the shop via the  tab at the top of the forum screen, typed gearbox tunnel and the first thing up was the tunnel seal kit, now £42! There is a separate log in for the shop to get the members discount. I wonder if we still have to do that now we have a members badge?

Doug

Hi Doug. I have just gone to the shop via your method and I can see the price of £35 for the kit so I’m guessing the members discount has been applied automatically?

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the  club shop suffers from many problems   a phone call is the best way talk to Julian 

i have always found the seals sold by many to be totally hopeless and far too expensive 

I have on many bought a slap of foam from dunelm and cut and adhered strips to thesealing flanges  this fills all the wonky gaps and compresses easy

and costs peanuts , it doesnt have to be closed cell foam  its compressed pretty firmly when bolts down 

if the cardboard tunnel is sound  use it  many plastic ones still need a bit of fettling to fit 

line it with dynamat or similar is a good idea  the orig was plastic bags of filler  and generally are past their best if they have survived 

Pete

Hi Pete. Thank you for your advice. The plastic bags are still in tact and the cardboard tunnel in good condition so I will fettle anything I’m not happy with and refit it.

Pete

thats lucky      so many are past their best or worse 

whilst the key hole plates are devised to allow easy removal i have always replaced with decent washer and hex headed tap screw/bolt 

easy to whiz out with 8mm socket and battery drill etc.

bit like these

Product Image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Doug. I have just gone to the shop via your method and I can see the price of £35 for the kit so I’m guessing the members discount has been applied automatically?

Hmm, I tried again, still £42 but then I logged in to the Club Shop and got £35. So the fact we are members is not automatically logging us in to the Club Shop, perhaps it should?

Doug

so the message is you must  Log in to the Main site or in at the shop to get members pricing 

we know not £££s   are competative but you get a guarantee and quality is uppermost in shop selections 

it obviously pays to shop around and keep a weather eye on who sells what for how much 

I  think we are all pretty savvy at that 

Pete

The question to ask is, is the foam closed or open cell?    The second will allow oil to get through the seal eventually.

I have a local business, Lancaster Rubber (Gasket Materials - Lancaster Rubber there may be similar near you) that sells reels of self-adhesive foam, closed-cell type, to industry so not  costly.   I probably remove and replace the cover more than most, so I just put new foam in each time.

John