Run in period Mk3 small journal

Sandy Gibson

Just been for a first run with my rebuilt engine.  All went well. No leaks and good oil pressure.

Engine was rebored and head  skimmed.

I only do a few hundred miles in a year and I’m not sure how I should run in the engine.  500 miles is going to take me a long time and I’m not getting any younger!

Any suggestions on how I might speed up the running in process or should I just forget it and drive as normal (within reason of course!)

1 hour ago, Sandy Gibson said:

just forget it and drive as normal (within reason of course!)

think thats a better plan    running in is less known these days with modern engines 

but a few hundred miles of steady unstressed runs would make for a happy engine 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Best to run in by one long trip, but unless you can manufacture a long trip, not easy to do. A much shorter one would be OK, plus the rest in shorter trips as long as you can.  Wear, rather than the conditioning that is running in, occurs most with short trips.

All the time during run in, but only when road conditions allow, drive like this:

Accelerate, hard in the highest gear possible without bogging down.

Then slow under engine braking, throttle closed, no road brakes

Repeat, as often as possible while road conditions allow, until run in complete.

This first forces the rings against the bored, then draws oil up onto the rings and walls.   The effect is to 'wear them in' rather than allow a glaze to develop, with a consequent poor seal.

This is rather more important than the usual " don't rev it or overload it"

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are using 'run-in' oil, then once that is completed, change it.  'Run-in' oil is not 'long-life', and will be loaded with minute wear particles from that process.  

If you don't have 'run-in', change it anyway for the same reason.    £40, when you have spent £400+ on the rebuild?  It's a no-brainer.

John

Classics that do small mileages and short trips deserve annual oil changes anyway.    If it takes him that long to run it in, so be it!

But a run-in that takes a year of short trips?   Too long.  Make an effort, get it done quicker.

Classics that do small mileages and short trips deserve annual oil changes anyway.    If it takes him that long to run it in, so be it!

But a run-in that takes a year of short trips?   Too long.  Make an effort, get it done quicker.  For the OP, one trip - just one - to TSSC HQ would run him in in one weekend!

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What makes you think the car wont do a run without failing ????    is there some underlying history ?

and remind me when we introduced the Dodge 500  to our Dunstable plant we did a endurance 24hrs drive for 3 months  to prove the upgrades

i had to pop back one  night to hear  varroooooooom   form the workshop to find a staff member asleep in the cab with the rear axle on a jack and the throttle jammed 

he  had an un ceremonious departure , it wrecked any fuel consumption results  but clocked up a lot of miles going knowhere

pete

Pete

Had this one running off and on for 15 years and other than an odd fuel hiccup never had a problem, never been stuck.

Just never got used to taking it out other than locally.

This year I WILL use it more ( and take John’s advice about joining RAC!)

Sandy

48 minutes ago, Sandy Gibson said:

Sandy

most club panel insurers  cover recovery included in the premium , check if you have this cover rather than duplicate it 

if not use a panel insurer as shown in the courier  etc .

1 hour ago, Sandy Gibson said:

Pete

Had this one running off and on for 15 years and other than an odd fuel hiccup never had a problem, never been stuck.

Just never got used to taking it out other than locally.

Sandy

Sandy,

If you are not yet a TSSC member, its well worth joining to get the TSSC to agree the insurance valuation of your car.

In addition, there is a development in the policy offered by Peter James Insurance , that includes "Member to Member" cover, so other Club members who are insured by Peter James can drive your car and still have the full comprehensive cover as though it was you driving.

If you are already a TSSC member, then please edit your profile to add your membership number and I will get you transferred into the TSSC Member group, which will open up many more areas of the forum for you.