Underside of dash

Puglet1

I have looked underneath the dashboard and can see an under cover on the passenger side. There is no cover on the drivers side.
I cannot see any driver side ones - but to be honest I don’t know what I’m looking for 🤔.

Q1. Should there be one on the driver side?

Q2. If yes, is there a pattern I can use to make my own?

Q3. Does anyone have any photos/ dimensions they can share?

Q3. Is there supplier that can supply one from ?

As usual, many thanks.Pete

You can buy these dash cards from various suppliers. I retrimed my Herald a couple of years ago. They are made of compressed cardboard and Finnish of in black. Look at the supplier website and it will tell you part numbers and a discretion where it fits 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

You shouldn't have done that! You'll have nightmares for a week about the state of the wiring, well I did anyway 😬

Loads of room, though. Compared to my GT6, that is. Remove the driver's seat, lie in the footwell looking up, and work away.

• Haha 1

i made replacements from hardboard but i had the orig and tatty mill board ones as a template so  yes making new is easy 

with something to template from   making one with no clues would  be another headache  with lots of trial and error 

if you end up making a set i would have the drivers side in 2 parts joined at the column area

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete. In that case , I’ll get going with some cardboard to see what templates I can come up with before making the final one from hardboard.

As you say, without an image it’s hard to judge where it should sit.

5 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

These are available from Newton Commercial, here's a link

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/products/upper-dash-panel-rhd

You will get a better price off one of the usual suppliers though (Canley Classic or James Paddocks)

Regards 

Gary

Thanks Gary. I didn’t realise it should be x1 long piece, I thought it would have been x2?

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

and the fixing brackets and bendy clips can be all over the place or missing 

when i made the angular fold i bonded the hardboard joint with bath sealer  it lasted years and gives some flexibility when fighting it all in place 

pete

Pete. As always, that’s a great help.👍

44 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

Thanks Gary. I didn’t realise it should be x1 long piece, I thought it would have been x2?

I've just sorted my spaghetti dash wiring into bunches of tagliatelle and couldn't get the one piece cardboard trim out so I worked around it. You're right it would be much simpler and easy to fit if it were in two. The fixings on mine were also difficult to remove and had to cut them off. May I suggest buying the trim and look at perhaps cutting in two. The big problem is around the steering wheel. I still haven't properly refitted mine but it's next on the list! 

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Try not to look at the wiring........ 

Iain 

think i just bridged the cut with simple timber and a few screws 

dont have the car to look at now sold in 2015  so memory fog presides 

ane uses cable ties onto some of the support brackets as the buttons were hopeless 

maybe spire clips and tappers   all a mixed bag to hold the silly thing in place and allow removal 

Pete

54 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

maybe spire clips and tappers   all a mixed bag to hold the silly thing in place and allow removal

I've used those on the front (bulkhead side) fixings. I've still to finalise what to do at the dash side. The trim panel doesn't seem to meet the fixing points so I've made some U brackets so it can stand off 70mm or so. No idea what I'm going to do in the centre so I decided to play about with my boot trim and wait for inspiration! 

Iain