Triumph GT6 Tyres

Hi All, 

I have been battling front end bulkhead rubbing on my GT6 MK3 since restoring the car. As the attached photo shows when the car is on lock the tyre is very close to the bulkhead on both sides but slightly more rubbing on passenger side. I think iv ruled every possibility out so far from. 

- Tub in wrong place, seems to all line up where it should. 

- Suspension arms are straight

- shims went back in the positions they came from. 

Only things I changed during the resto in this area was trunnionless uprights and I changed the tyres from 165/70/13 to 175/70/13 the rims were always steel 5.5J. 

I think my only option now is to change the front tyres back to 165/70/13 but peoples thoughts on this would be very appreciated. I believe I will gain approx. 15mm of extra space but will there be any detrimental effect having different sizes front and back?

thumbnail_image0.thumb.jpg.f87fd292ad7fe4f0bdc38cadc7f775e5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

this foul does seem to bug some cars with little clues to solve it 

unless you change the tyre pressure or weight of car you wont change the area of the footprint on the road surface regardless of tyre size 

Pete

Adding my spare which had an original 155/13 I gained a decent amount of room so I think the 165 should do the trick. But I agree some people have no issues some do with very few solutions. 

This is usually caused by ride hieght/tyre combination. I would have thought 175/70 would have been ok. If the car is fitted with lowered front springs this could be the cause, and why having adjustable spring seats on the shocks is usefall. The bulk head tapers in down towards the front outrigger, so a little bit of height adjustment can make big difference with tyre to bulkhead  clearance.

4 minutes ago, Mark B said:

This is usually caused by ride hieght/tyre combination. I would have thought 175/70 would have been ok. If the car is fitted with lowered front springs this could be the cause, and why having adjustable spring seats on the shocks is usefall. The bulk head tapers in down towards the front outrigger, so a little bit of height adjustment can make big difference with tyre to bulkhead  clearance.

That is how I eventually solved a similar problem on my GT6 !

10 minutes ago, Mark B said:

I thought that originally but I installed new gas shocks and road springs. Then added some spacers to raise the ride height but still having issues

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem on my Spit resto.

Fitted standard springs from the most well known supplier and they are definitely lower than originals. I went back to 155s all around and, on balance, am pleased as the car is light to drive and responsive.

My GT6 runs 175/70 tyres on 5 inch rims all round and has no bulkhead clearance issues. Standard front springs and shocks. When QuickNick and I compared cars (when he was having his bulkhead fouling issues) we found the front of his car (ground / chassis clearance) was sitting slightly lower than mine - as he's indicated above, a slight front end lift via adjustable spring pan shocks solved the problem.

Gully