Spitfire 1500 - No oil pressure when trying to start

IanC

Hello all, hoping someone can help me for an issue with my resto' engine

My spitfire 1500 has always been a good starter, taking only a few seconds of cranking to get some pressure, albeit a bit low when running.

I recently went to start it after am winter layoff and for the first time ever I decided to squirt some WD40 down the bores before cranking over (without plugs in).

Ever since then I can't get any oil pressure at all.  I'm obviously reticent to keep turning the engine ad infinitum and haven't put the plugs in to see if it would start and build pressure that way.

I can't see how the WD40 could have scuppered my pressure but could it though?

Is it possible to test the oil pump is working?

Any other hints, tips or ideas?

Cheers,

Ian.

Is the engine new, you say resto?

It does take a fair amount of cranking to get the oil round especially after a layoff. I would put the plugs back in and fire up. If the green light doesn't go out after 2 or 3 seconds turn off and let us know. 

Iain 

You could try taking the distributor off, and taking out the distributor drive gear. Then use an electric drill with a flat wide screwdriver bit to turn the oil pump. From memory, I'm pretty sure you run the drill anti-clockwise, and keep it spinning until you feel the drill slow slightly as it takes the load of the oil pump actually pumping oil.  You will probably also see the pressure  rise on an oil pressure guage if you have one. I always do this after a long period of non running.

Edited by Sparky_Spit

If I turn my engine over for about 10 seconds with ignition disconnected the oil pressure light goes off but nothing showing on the gauge at that point.

If you wanted to be certain oil was being pumped then perhaps remove the pressure switch sensor and see if any comes out there when cranking.

Folks,

Apologies for my tardiness in responding.  Thank you one and all.

The engine is original, hasn't been restored or anything of that sort.

Ref determining no pressure, I have the standard green light and a pressure gauge.  It would be co-incidence (but not impossible) for them both to fail.  The filter doesn't have any drain back valves.

Dave.vitesse mentioned removing the dist'r so I think I'll try that along with Sparky's suggestion.

Also, Pete Lewis, how do I back fill the pump please?

Ian

The oil pump should always remain full of oil as its inlet and outlet both connect at the top so on stopping the engine its left full ready for the next start. If it empties it means the joint of the oil pump body to base plate leaks which is worrying as it doesnt have a gasket and just relies on the fixing bolts to keep it clamped up tight. If you do want to get oil into it I would remove the oil pressure relief valve (the large hexagonal block that screws into the block below the dizzy) and with a small tube inserted as far as possible feed a couple of egg cup fulls of oil in.

While you have the relief out check its plunger is in good condition and the spring is within the manual specification. 

All,

I injected 40ml of oil into the Oil pressure take off and filled the filter.  Lost a bit when putting it back on but a few turns and pressure built up.  After that it was back in with the plugs and then she was off and running.

Thanks for your feedback and ideas.

Ian  

You're quite right!  " the oil pressure light goes off but nothing showing on the gauge at that point"

This demonstrates that the standard pressure sensor will only activate the warning light when pressure is already dangerously low!  Suggest you 'churn' a little longer, until you actually see pressure on the guage - for those who gave one!

John

Just for reference, on my 1500 Herald, I have a Mann filter which has an anti drain valve, but I normally crank it without choke until the light goes out (about 5 seconds), the pressure gauge starts to move up a few seconds after the light goes out. I think the Hi Torque starter helps as it spins over quicker.

Steve