Head gasket or not?

Roger

My Vitesse Mk I engine has a strange behaviour. It starts ok, and works fine for 3-5 minutes. But as soon as the engine starts to get warmer it looses power dramatically and finally dies after 10-15 minutes. First I suspected rubber slivers in the carbs (recently changed all hoses) so I took carbs apart, cleaned and re-assemblied. Fuel pump flow and pressure ok. Not vacuum in the tank, checked that. I’m quite sure that it is not related to carbs or fuel. Then I suspected a blown head gasked. Compression test: good and even pressure in all cylinders with cold engine. Could it be possible that the head gasket is ok on cold engine, but starts to leak when the metal gets warmer and expands? Thoughts? I will try to do a compression test on warm engine tomorrow. Another question: I have very limited knowledge about all things electric. Is there any electrical component that stops working when hot and could give this kind of problem. Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Have you checked for a spark when the engine dies? Could it be an overheating coil or condenser for example?

Thanks Nigel, no I have not checked that. Will do tomorow!

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

get a new condenser from the distributor doctor is my view

Thanks Pete, I think I have a few old condensers lying around so I will first try to replace it with what I have in the garage. It takes forever to get something from the UK with custom paper work etc. Long term solution will be a new one from DD. I also have several coils so I can test replacing that one as well (and check wiring). As mentioned I'm ignorant about these things, had no idea these parts could give heat related problems. You learn something new everyday on this forum!

24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

check that the coil is wired ign to pos and dizzy to neg . wrong way round can give really odd running problems

Coil is wired as PO put it there (can't find + or - signs on it) so I will replace the coil with another marked one. PO put the dizzy 180 degrees wrong so coil could definitely be wired incorrect too!

this is an age old problem  the car runs  then plays up and stops  you get out kick a wheel have a curse and it re starts 

i wish i had a £  for the ones ive found wrong over the many years  

an unmarked coil  sounds a good contender

i suggest dizzy doc for condensers as he tests all his own ,there are many with sod all inside the can

worth a browse  Delco condenser: RD7774, CD369, 829111,829107,1861709,1866049,18655972, 1869704,1882239, Lucas Condenser 484249, 400308, 407044, 54411935 / DCB105, 54413006, 23D4 22D 23D DM2 25D DM6 DM4 lucas distributor, Lucas condenser number 423871, GDC101. Condensor 405833 for Ford 8 and Ford 10, Lucas condensers from Distributor Doctor

Pete

• Thanks 1

These are my options: cannibalizing my Herald engine, was a runner when I took it apart, OR another unknown newish condenser with probably sod all inside. Not sure if a condenser from a Herald will fit in a Mk I 2000 engine but that is what I have so that is what I will use!

DSC01108_.jpg

Update: Changed condenser to another one, but still same problem. It is difficult to describe, but the engine sound changes from cold to warm, noticably when listening to rear carb. The rear carb also "spits out fuel" when I turn the throttles and increase revs. I just have this feeling that cylinder 5 and 6 have a leak between them, but a new compression test when warm show good compression also when warm. This is driving me nuts! Next thing that comes to mind is if the inlet / exhaust gasket leaks (?) and the leak increases when warm?! It's a Mk I engine, I hate the design for inlet / exhaust bolts. Another discovery was that spark plug no 6 was wet and oily, all others dry. To be continued...

DSC01111 (1).JPG

10 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Roger, have you checked the air piston diaphragm for splits? Without a good seal the vacuum cannot raise the air piston. 

Iain 

Yes, checked that. I know that even a tiny hole can cause problems

37 minutes ago, johny said:

Is it possible an inlet valve is getting sticky on 4, 5 or 6 when it warms up although thought this would show on the compression test... 

I too think it could be a sticky inlet valve. It may be the slower revs cranking the engine when doing a compression test doesn't cause the valve(s) to stick? 

Something is creating the back pressure and it can only come from the piston compression chamber and non sealing inlet valve. It would also account for the loss of power. Certainly fuel droplets shouldn't be expelled the wrong way! 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

Thanks Ian and Johny, I have also been thinking of the valves, I might have to remove the cylinder head. The reduction in power is dramatic, I barely limped home at 5-10 km/h. This is also confusing since I guess more than one cylinder must fail in order for power to drop so much? I have not replaced the ignition coil yet, will check that too just to be sure.

Even with a dodgy coil or plug leads it shouldn't cause the blow back. 

As Johny said take the rocker cover off and first examine the valve springs. Then start the engine and make sure there is oil dripping out of the rocker shaft and arm. The rocker must be lubricated. If not let us know. Then inspect 4,5,6 cylinder valves. You can carefully put a finger on the rocker arm over the valves and perhaps feel any difference from the front three cylinders. If a valve is sticking you may be able to hear a noise as the rocker arm knocks the semi open valve head

Be careful! 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Just a thought..what symptom would a cracked cylinder head between an inlet and exhaust valve cause?

Unfortunately it looks like the head may have to come off for a full inspection but I don't know if a crack would cause that much blow back. 

Iain 

46 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

did you have throttles open on the compression test ???

DOH!!!! 😖

I think I forgot. What impact would that have on the test? Will try again and make sure to have them fully open.