Head gasket or not?

Roger

8 hours ago, johny said:

How has this problem started? One trip out it was fine and the next it did this with nothing changed inbetween?

The problem is that there has never been any trips with this engine. The car has been in my garage for about four years and I have only driven it very short distances basically "on my back yard". I bought the engine from a scrap yard in Sweden and it is used "as is". I have not take it apart, and I have not had a chance to drive it on a longer trip.

This is also one of the parts I suspect. I do have a spare one in my boxes. Just my opinion, but I think that design with "clamps and pivots" to attach the inlet / exhaust to the head on Mk I engines is one of the worst designs on a Triumph and also one of the main reasons that I want a Mk II engine in the future. I did notice that the bolts to these "clamps and pivots" was not tighten properly (always have the feeling that they will snap) so I think there is a possibility that I have massive leaks in between the cylinders around this gasket. Plan is to remove it for inspection. I will keep you posted...

Thanks all for your feed-back and advice, much appreciated!

AJM613.JPG

Edited by Roger

Yes the exhaust arrangement isnt great and I had a few gasket failures but always from an exhaust to the exterior so you can see and hear the leak. The distance is much greater between the exhaust and intake ports so a failure there is much more unlikely and Ive certainly never seen that. However in the end the solution was simple - just keep the manifold fixings tight and since including that in my routine maintenance Ive never had any more porblems...

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

make sure the studs/bolts are not thread clogged 

Pete

We had great issues with big valve flanges (600mm plus) which had full face gaskets the flange bolts got thread bound with the rubber gasket, which is why all my specs specified insertion gaskets only ie a narrow gasket which fitted between the flanges and inside the line of bolts.

Mind you I've never had any issues with full face gaskets in a car environment.

Edited by Peter Truman

but a gasket leak/fail would not blow fuel back out the carb throat, thats indicative of a failed valve seat or head gasket crossover problem 

the fact its seems ok cold but spits when hot could well be a head crack opening up 

those comp figures of around 175 ( if PSI)  are far too high for a std engine so i suspect the gauge is not reading well

around 130ish   is more normal   (9  x 14,5)

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the fact its seems ok cold but spits when hot could well be a head crack opening up

Thats my main concern. I don't have another cylinder head, that is the only one I have! The nearest second hand cylinder head is 2000 miles away....

Interesting thread - engine gets hot and carbs malfunction (spitting back). Is there too much heat from the exhaust manifold adversely affecting the carbs? Where do the carbs get their cold air from? Cold air has to be essential in being both dense as required for effective combustion and cold for helping to cool the carbs. I had an exhaust leak on a Kawasaki 4 cylinder bike that directed hot gasses straight at the float chamber of number 4 carb. It caused the engine to run very rough. Took the exhaust apart, refitted it with some exhaust paste on the joints and the problem was cured.

I don't think the primary cause is manifold gasket. When mine went you could hear and feel the gas escaping. It made a racket but the car still ran with almost no loss of power. It did make an orrible black soot mark on the underside of my bonnet! 

My £1 bet is sticky valves. 

Iain 

• Thanks 1

New compression test, open throttles, cold engine. From cylinder 1 to 6: 190, 180, 175, 185, 180 and 190 PSI on number 6. Measured with this cheapo device:

15-1393_xl_1.jpg

Edited by Roger

I also think manifold gasket is quite unlikely but I will change it tomorrow since I have one in the garage. The engine is kind of a "bitsa" with a mix of 2000 Mk I parts and parts from an early Vitesse HC engine. I have a vague memory that the inlet manifold from the HC engine did not fit very well. I think the exhaust manifold is from the 2000, they did not match so good.

If new manifold gasked does not improve things then head will come of...

1 hour ago, Roger said:

New compression test, open throttles, cold engine. From cylinder 1 to 6: 190, 180, 175, 185, 180 and 190 PSI on number 6. Measured with this cheapo device

Putting my head above the parapet just multiplying 14.7 by the CR isn't really accurate. A reading of about 180psi can equate to around 10:1 CR. Yes higher than standard but not too high. The main point is they are all relatively the same. Posts on the forum about CR/psi can get as heated as carburettor damper oil! 

Take a peak at the valves/rocker arms. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

3 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Putting my head above the parapet just multiplying 14.7 by the CR isn't really accurate

Yes, as I wrote above the device was very cheap and it has definitely not been calibrated. I don't trust those values either. But that cheapo device would at least indicate if the gasket had blown completely and lets say I had only 20 PSI on one or two cylinders.

I have the same kit curtosy of Amazon! It's fine providing you don't want a guaranteed reading but just a comparison. 

My £1 bet still stands, what's the Swedish conversion! Oops sorry Finnish. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1

I'll add a krona and say I think the engine has sat around a while so a valve(s) stem has corroded and now doesnt slide smoothly in its guide. The inlet valve(s) still moves but is sticky which gets worse as it heats up when it doesnt close fast enough so the compression stroke pushes a bit of gas back out, maybe... 

• Like 2

Sounds exactly the same problem I had, fine when cold but once hot no power and failed to start, had to wait an hour or so for it to cool down and started again. Air leakage in the carbs. I replaced seals (obviously old and brittle), spindles etc, and......no discernable change once hot and continued to run fine.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian