Zero compression on cylinder 4

Kelv

yes that was my postulation but why did it wait until then to do it? Ahhhh but was the end cap in place, though loose and held on by the rocker cover, so that then on removing the cover it fell out somewhere and the rocker was free to slide along?

However was the prior loss of compression on the same cylinder pure coincidence🤔

19 minutes ago, Kelv said:

I bought the car from Mike Papworth from Coventry. I'm sure you guys know him. He's a gearbox chap. I haven't kept his phone number to grill him about the car though. 

He advertised it as a 1300 engine and told me it was a 1300. It doesn't matter if it's not a 1300 though. She's bloody nippy round the welsh lanes. Plenty of power. 

13 minutes ago, johny said:

Ah sorry read original post as cylinder 1 so 4 is more understandable. Any chance the rocker shaft end cap fell out as you removed the cover? Could it be in the engine bay or garage?

All I did was lift the rocker cover up and didn't see, feel or hear anything dropping. But it definitely could have done. 

Nothing wrong with the 1147cc engine, I have one in my spitfire OK in a bit higher state of tune but a great little engine.  there should be a sprung washer between the end cap and the rocker. It looks like the rocker shaft has been rebuilt as all of the pedestals have a recess for a screw originally this was only the rear one, which is not a problem as they are the only ones available now and it makes no difference.

why was the pedestal  seemingly loose you can see it jumping up/down  indicated a lack of care at some time

and the missing pin is probably been sent to the sump , pleased you found the end cap 

the top keyhole plate is with the weeny valve spring so very easy yo remove by hand a quick whack with a misaligned  rocker escaping rocker 

would quite  easily pitch the cap off 

why the valve guide is adrift could be the result of the dropped valve punching it out following piston collision 

needs a good look see rather than guesswork  Im certain Bern will get to the root problem 

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

21 hours ago, johny said:

Thats it and there should be some sort of short coil spring with it that pushes back against the rocker and of course a pin that may or may not have ever been used...

Doubt I'll find that spring unless I use my magnet fishing magnet on the road around and under the car. Worth a try.

Edited by Kelv

You might be lucky though and only need a new head gasket, exhaust valve (pretty likely the original is now bent...), rocker spring and end cap pin, plus valve guide re-fitting🤞We'll know better when the head is off, cylinder inspected and the engine turned by hand...

On 26/08/2023 at 11:18, DanMi said:

the rocker shaft end cap is missing so the rocker will have moved and hit the valve cap rather than the valve stem thus dislodging it.

The noises described will have been the valve dropping and clashing with the piston then. Stripping will reveal the worst I guess. Bent valve, broken piston, bent or broken conrod and (maybe) a twisted crank. All the result of a missing part.

• Sad 1