Zero compression on cylinder 4

Kelv

Hi Kelvin.

is your car points or electronic ignition? My Spit kept running / appearing to have a good spark but then failing after half a mile or so. Was a crap Chinese condenser. A few £ on one from the Distributor Dr and it’s beautifully smooth. 

Incidentally, just fixed my neighbours MGA by reverting to good points/condenser after he had similar issues…failed accuspark unit.

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

I would try putting some pipe from the fuel pump inlet into a can of petrol to see if that works which would determine if it is pump or fuel line

Got to have a way to get the fuel over the syphon and flowing to prove this. Sucking by mouth is not to be recommended so one of those little hand pumps like this would be ideal....

image.png.c224e39fff2ab0752c082e2658ede177.png

20 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

one very normal place is the short hose  off the  top of the tank  hidden in the boot on all H &V   this is often the cause of loose /degraded hose that sucks air and stops the pump suction  and could well be the common with both pump failures 

Pete

Yes I had that issue a few months ago actually. Bernard had replaced ALL lines and hoses.

20 hours ago, DanMi said:

I would try putting some pipe from the fuel pump inlet into a can of petrol to see if that works which would determine if it is pump or fuel line

Bernard has just done that very thing lol

19 hours ago, johny said:

Got to have a way to get the fuel over the syphon and flowing to prove this. Sucking by mouth is not to be recommended so one of those little hand pumps like this would be ideal....

image.png.c224e39fff2ab0752c082e2658ede177.png

The pump has a priming lever though so not needed but that's a useful device there

Latest update from Bern...

"Hi Kelvin,

I managed to get a trade price on a battery and when fitted the engine span a lot faster and started using a gravity fed fuel supply. There was an increased voltage of 14.1v across the poles with the engine running. I removed the fuel pump and using an endoscope I could see wear on the cam that operates the pump which could give a slight loss of fuel pump efficiency. I re fitted the fuel pump and fed the pump from a fuel can, there seemed to be a slight improvement. I  disconnected all the fuel lines and found that the main steel line was partially blocked, I cleaned it with an airline. I stripped the top of the carb down and removed the float valve and found it to be sticking slightly. I gave everything a good clean and re attached the fuel lines. The engine started and ran well. I will  start the engine a few times today and if all is well I will take if for a short run."

1 hour ago, Kelv said:

The pump has a priming lever though so not needed but that's a useful device there

I was thinking of that hand pump to prove if the pipe from the tank was blocked cos using the mechanical one its difficult to know if the pump or pipe is at fault.

With a clear leak free pipe once you got fuel flowing it should continue to run freely as a syphon. You should even be able to block the end wait a while and then release it to continue flowing.....

Ah, yes, I understand what you mean now. Yes, that would have diagnosed the issue and possibly cleared out any blockage too. Cheers. I was having a thick moment. Lol

Edited by Kelv