Zero compression on cylinder 4

Kelv

My 13/60 started sounding like a 2 stroke mower. My mechanic did compression checks. Zero compression on one cylinder and reduced compression on the other 3. He has recommended a head recondition service he uses and quoted a price of £1000. Does this sound about right? What are my options? My neighbour suggested buying a more modern car and putting that engine in the herald lol

Probably the head gasket has failed and the minimum cost to change that with no other work would probably be about a couple of hundred pounds max. There might be more work found but its very unlikely that hardened valve seats will be essential. Many of us are still driving around without these...

I agree with Johny, Ilke many I've been running on unleaded fuel since it came out with no issues  The only way to find out what's wrong is take the head off and have a look. Might be you just need a new head gasket. Don't de-coke, because that's where the "memory of lead" is and what will protect your valves.

Doug

the old casting holds a lot of historic lead memory such that addatives are a real waste of money ,

and there little to show they actually work  best to stick with E5 fuel and bin the addatives   

yes recutting the seats can remove some of  the memory . a regrind with paste to revive  a good seating wont be detrimental to the memory .

to have so little compression on 1 and low on 234   its important the head is removed and inspected , this could well be just in need of a gasket change

do not jump into wallet destruction on here say , deal with facts can save you being ripped off big time 

if the head nuts /washers have any deformation the head becomes loose due to lost torque

many use mini flanged nuts to solve this on replacement.

oil loss from the head has two choices   badly fitting rocker cover gasket   and/or  the oil feed for the rockers goes through a drilling at the rear left side of the head

if the HG is in trouble or the nuts are loosend this can make a seapage from the rear corner 

a light smear of sealer when replacing around this small feed hole helps 

Pete

Kelv,

a compression check is only useful to compare across the block.   "Reduced" means nothing as the gauges are no calibrated, and your mechanic is probably used to moderns.    But "No compression" on one is diagnostic!   Diagnostic for what, needs more investigation.     

A failed head gasket is more likely to reduce Comp. on two adjacent cylinders.

Have you taken off the rocker cover to see what the valves are doing?   If one on No.4 is stuck down , doesn't return by the valve spring, then that is the cause.    If the valves are moving normally, then it is a cylinder head off job, to inspect the valve seats (need to remove the valves for that) and the cylinder bores ( is there a ridge at the top that you can feel with your finger?  =  Excess bore wear.)    

If you're not experienced in engine work, then are you in touch with the Local Area Group of TSSC?    The Cardiff group is near to you, perhaps they could help you to work out what is wrong.       Alan Gourley is the LAG Organiser
Tel:    07802204068

They meet at the pub "Y Maerun",    140 Marshfield Rd, Marshfield, Cardiff,  CF3 2TU.  Could you get the car there for the next meeting?     Alan can tell you when that is.

Good luck!  John

Edited by JohnD

16 hours ago, iainbja said:

local machine shop charged me £350 to convert head to unleaded and lap valves it etc that was 2019 though.

I think £1000 is a bit steep. I suspect the head recondition company are just sending it off elsewhere and adding their bit to the cost. That's why they say they need it for 10 days. 

sorry Kelv,  your are just  a bit too far away to make a visit and you cant drive it to sunny Luton  

why not take the head of and let us know what you see we can advise how to on here 

you cant wreck anything its all pretty simple mechanical stuff   and only needs a few spanners 

Pete

Before you remove the head, if it wasnt done before, its usual to do a compression test with a cap full of oil down each bore just to eliminate the possibility that the low reading is down to a piston/ring problem...

A long shot but you could even try checking the head bolts tightness and then testing compression again....  

Now I can see in the video the rocker shaft seems to be loose as if its mounting post attachement isnt done up enough. There should also be a cap on the end of the rocker shaft held in place with a pin into that hole and which keeps the last rocker from coming off....