Stromberg CD150 losing damper oil

Robin

The damper oil from my twin stromberg  CD150s is draining out quite regularly but can’t see any obvious leak - is there an O ring in the casing where the needle is held in place by a grub screw? I think there is in the CDSE but not sure about the CD150

I don't think there is a way for oil to drain out of the air valve (piston) as its a sealed unit. You don't need to fill to the cap top only to around the top of the piston. You can see the ring line about 1" down from the top of the cap. If you fill to the top it will drain away. 

Iain 

yes I think thats the normal problem, they get overfilled and excess is lost when the piston is fully raised so making it look like theres a leak but of course the level is still correct. This can be verified with the damper in place by lifting the piston fully by hand through the carb mouth and there should be resistance felt all the way...

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I have CDSE top adjusters which do have "O" rings. A pain to replace. There's a tiny sprag washer that has to be banged out from the needle end. Best to do it in a plastic bag as the sprag can travel a LONG way, generally never to be seen again.

Doug

Likewise!

Gully

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Isn't it really the oil spilling over the sliding joint between the air piston and cap. I agree best to check regularly to dampen the rise in the piston or the mixture will go lean on acceleration. 

Iain 

As Doug noted below, the top adjuster CDSEs have O-rings by the needle adjusters immersed in the damper oil, which deteriorate and leak.

Gully

3 minutes ago, Gully said:

As Doug noted below, the top adjuster CDSEs have O-rings by the needle adjusters immersed in the damper oil, which deteriorate and leak.

Sorry I forgot about the CDSE top adjusters! I'm blinkered as I've only tampered with the CDS bottom adjuster carbs.