Shocked and surprised

I had Gaz on the front of the Vit6 the control knob fills with road dirt and needs cleaning ,easy to remove the knob but  make sure the detent ball and spring doesnt fly into the grass.

the rears were Spax   and if you dont cover the adjuster screw with thick grease that will seize , again easy to get under and give a twiddle 

but setting for unladen or  4 up and a boot full needs adjusting 

the fixed std type shocks take most of the ride variance in their stride with no need to feel a reset  is needed to get a ride quality 

sorry having given them a good testing find them to be one of the Must Have headaches  many of us just dont need

you will find lots of clues that end up with Minimum setting  works  ....what the point !!!!   just silly costs .

Pete ( well its raining )

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

It’s so tempting to buy new things when we get our new toys, I’m pleased you fella’s are out there with your wise words to reign me in 😆

Do I need adjustables? Tbh no not really.

When I’m ready I probably just go for the standard pre rotoflex telescopics. (After removing existing rotoflex extension brackets)

I believe the GSA 385 dampers should do the trick via Tssc shop.

Thanks again all, for your help.

2 hours ago, Straightsix said:

It’s so tempting to buy new things when we get our new toys, I’m pleased you fella’s are out there with your wise words to reign me in 😆

Do I need adjustables? Tbh no not really.

When I’m ready I probably just go for the standard pre rotoflex telescopics. (After removing existing rotoflex extension brackets)

I believe the GSA 385 dampers should do the trick via Tssc shop.

Thanks again all, for your help.

I think you might have issues removing the extension brackets ie the body chassis bolts will need loosening and you might have to jack up the body . Having a sliding hammer might make the  job easier . I’d leave them in position

Paul 

• Thanks 1

I've never seen these in the flesh, so am working on memory and presumption but I thought they were only held on with bolts running across and can therefore be fitted without having to remove body bolts or jack the body up, so should be removable the same way? I'd like to think they should be grindable, or a thin hacksaw blade will do it. If they're only bolted through the original bolt holes from side to side, so cut off whichever side will allow the rest to be poked out, or at least moved to allow it to be shortened then removed. The worst case scenario is that you may damage the bracket but not the chassis.

54 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Thank you Paul for the warning brought the arms and shocks a number of years ago but never fitted them.

Graham

Hi Graham.

Do you own a Mk2 Vitesse?

The reason I’m asking is I would like to understand what suspension setup you have decided to run with.

I fitted some Koni Dampers originally designed for the front of an early Mini to the rear of my Mk2 Vitesse fitted with the original Metalastic Roto-flex drive couplings, they required some modifications to the bushing but are the correct open and closed length when using the top chassis extension brackets which is very important for a smooth ride.

They worked really well, here's a link if you want to swop those Spax dampers

Regards

Gary 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Straightsix said:

Thanks Paul, I  hadn’t realised what a can of worms this suspension modification entailed.

So just to clarify the original top suspension mount can be used, while leaving the extension brackets still in situ?

To confirm, yes you can leave the brackets in situ AND still use the original chassis top mount. The brackets will probably be a pig to remove now anyway, as they are almost an interference fit between floor and chassis mount. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Graham.

Do you own a Mk2 Vitesse?

The reason I’m asking is I would like to understand what suspension setup you have decided to run with.

Hello Puglet1

No, I would be fitting them to a GT6, the intention was to remove the shock from being fitted to the wheel arch via bracket. Over time cracks can occur around these brackets in the wheel arch.

Graham

• Like 1