Vitesse overdrive upgrade

Paul H

Hi just purchased a 1969 Vitesse Saloon MK 2 no overdrive

One of the known issues is a noisy gearbox -  In general terms is replacing with overdrive worth the extra cost ? 

What would be a comfortable cruising speed with a replacement non overdrive gearbox ?

What would be a comfortable cruising speed with a replacement  overdrive gearbox ?

Thanks in advance for any input 

Hi Bivvyman,

A non-overdrive Vitesse on standard rims and 155-tyres does 17.4mph per 1000 revs in top gear.

This is very low geared compared to a modern car (my modern car runs at about 35mph per 1000 revs) and it will be far from a relaxed motorway-cruiser.

Overdrive will improve things to just shy of 22mph per 1000 revs.

Have a look at this website as it explains the effects of diff ration and tyre sizes: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

Let us know what you decide to do.

Tom

Hi Bivvyman,

A non-overdrive Vitesse on standard rims and 155-tyres does 17.4mph per 1000 revs in top gear.

This is very low geared compared to a modern car (my modern car runs at about 35mph per 1000 revs) and it will be far from a relaxed motorway-cruiser.

Overdrive will improve things to just shy of 22mph per 1000 revs.

Have a look at this website as it explains the effects of diff ration and tyre sizes: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/ 

Let us know what you decide to do.

Tom

Hi Tom , thanks for reply and beginning to understand the issue - I tried the link and got a Mcaffe Warning not to proceed. Are there any other sites that would help 

Best regards 

minty lamb many use it without problems ,  i use Linux and it loads OK

apart from the noisy gearbox which  does have  a number of short comings making noise you dont need .

a cheaper option to raise the diff ratio

from 3.89 :1 to 3.63:1 

your existing box can be converted with a new mainshaft   (tkc923) and a number of other parts like mounting and chassis plate ,remote rod cam and inhibitor switch

most would use D type overdrive it needs an adadaptor plate to co join the two units 

see places like OD spares     http://www.odspares.com/             Overrdrive repairs  http://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/      for major units

main failings for gearbox noise are 

mainshaft spigot tip worn out

input shaft bearing

layshaft needle roller spindle 

synchro ....broken spings in the sliding hub sleeves

Check out exactly what you do need to convert to OD, it is quite a list if sourcing parts individually. 

You can buy a complete conversion reconditioned, but sit down when you get a price!

Used conversions do turn up, but again check what you get and what is needed to complete the conversion.

All said and done, I have driven long distances without OD, but at a steady 60mph+ the od is a lovely addition and just feels better. Compare it to driving along the motorway in 4th rather than 5th in a modern car.

If you intend mainly shorter drives and quieter/slower roads, I wouldn't worry so much.

• Like 1

Check out exactly what you do need to convert to OD, it is quite a list if sourcing parts individually. 

You can buy a complete conversion reconditioned, but sit down when you get a price!

Used conversions do turn up, but again check what you get and what is needed to complete the conversion.

All said and done, I have driven long distances without OD, but at a steady 60mph+ the od is a lovely addition and just feels better. Compare it to driving along the motorway in 4th rather than 5th in a modern car.

If you intend mainly shorter drives and quieter/slower roads, I wouldn't worry so much.

Thanks for input and the driving in 4th on a motorway makes sense so looks like overdrive is the way forward.

Pete's right about avoiding over gearing. When I bought my GT6 it had a 3.27 diff and overdrive - rarely used the overdrive (aside from motorway / dual carriageway blasts) and pulling away uphill took way too much clutch slipping for my liking. Swapped to a 3.63 diff and it's ideal gearing for 'fun' roads and perfectly happy on faster stuff. I think Cookie runs the same combination.

Gully

I know it was the standard equipment, but for my money 1st gear was too tall - no argument with those who are happy with the compromise on acceleration in favour of non-overdrive cruising. Without OD, my feeling was that the gearbox needed a wider range of gearing. Each to their own.

Gully