Thoughts from a newbie

Having moderated on a few car forums over the years, as a newbie here there's a couple of things I would find quite useful here, as perhaps would others new to the whole classic car world.

Maybe they've been attempted before, maybe not, but as I've only been here 5 mins I'm still learning.

Firstly, a section on recommended garages / services etc. and maybe tagged by region.  Obviously we have our local WhatsApp groups, but would be good to build up a resource on here as no doubt people need to make use of one or two at some point.

Secondly, and this really is one for newbie's, basic routine maintenance.  I'm used to 'modern' cars and weekly checks like oil / water / tread / wipers etc, but am an absolute novice when it comes to classics.  Should I be greasing my pancake seals, re-torquing the fleegle-nuts, or checking the dilithium crystals?  No idea what level of additional care these beasties may need, and there's such a great hive mind of knowledge on here that just know what to watch out for etc.  So maybe a sticky topic in the introduce yourself section.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Pete, I don't actually have the car yet, and will update my profile once I do, though it will be a Spit.

I was generalising really, as I assume there must be some 'beyond the norm' checks people like to do with their classics, be it a Spit, TR6 or Herald, and thought it might be nice to have readily available for those (like me) that have never encountered a classic before.  But then I have no idea how many new joiners are genuinely new to the world of classics, or just new to the club / forum.

Cheers,

Dave

My Vitesse still had the owners manual in the glove box. It describes how to do all of the routine checks and adjustments. These may be available for most of the small chassis cars.

Maintenance of Tyres, Brakes, Tappets and Fluids are all described.

14 hours ago, Casper said:

Early check of wheel alignment, front and back, ensuring indicators cancel and 12 o'clock is straight ahead.  I'll look out the issues of the Courier you need to look at:  

Suspect Suspensions Sussed,  in the Couriers 158 Aug 1993, 159 Sep 1993 and 168 Oct 1993 available in the archive on the Club's main website.

C.