Driveline angles

34 minutes ago, Iain T said:

The diff has to come out as there is excessive backlash and the rear bushes look shot. Should know more next week.

Iain 

The true backlash of crownwheel and pinion is difficult to measure from outside the diff as the play felt between its input and output shafts is more to do with the sun and planet gears of which I dont think theres any tolerance mentioned in the manual....

getting the guy on the assy line to understand Phasing the Props on a truck with three shafts and two centre bearings was a challenge with getting all the yokes aligned and the variety of centre bearing bracket heights .....can be a nightmare  with all the power derivatives and wheelbase tonnage thrown in for good confusion .   all in the hands of a well meaning  plonker with an air wrench 

Pete

Hardy's have the diff out and can now see how the nose has been made to point up. The carrier bush cups have been removed from the top and welded on the bottom thereby raising the nose. Also some of the bolts to the cv driveshafts were loose and too short! Now I know what the occasion clonk was and rumbly back end. It's all going back as Triumph intended with a reconditioned diff and carrier and hopefully no leaks and a nice smooth quiet rear end🤞.

Iain 

1 hour ago, johny said:

Any ideas why anyone would change the carrier cups position like that Iain? Seems crazy...

To raise the nose of the diff above the horizontal as the gb points down and good driveline geometry for ujs says both units should be near parallel and prop to gb and diff angle 0.5 to 3 degrees. The theory is fine but does it work on our cars? Certainly having both gb and diff pointing down is not ideal for a uj prop.

Iain 

22 minutes ago, johny said:

Ah ok I'll stop worrying about mine then😁

Worrying is my natural state! At work my wife and I were known as Mr Worry and Mrs Careful. I spent 4 decades worrying about sales, profit and keeping the workforce happy.....

Retirement is bliss! 😃

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iain T said:

Worrying is my natural state! At work

I can empathise, I had years of "sleepless" nights, attempting to convince line manager(s) that pressure vessels cannot be properly examined and certified as safe, and not explosive devices, If you don`t have the TIME to do proper surveys. Workloads that demnded up to 16 hr day`s, by the time the reports where satisfactorily written. Hence by "early retirement" when the offer came gratefully received. I had far less hassle, and greater financial reward as a Chief Engineer on a Break/Bulk Cargo Vessel and North Sea Ferries. Traded in to be home at night, and not away for weeks/months on end. Often wondered if I did the right thing?.

Pete

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

Yes!! Although rewarding there comes a time if you can to call time. 

Happy retirement🍻

It is, Since 1997. Beat my own expectations as regards longevity.🤞 Thoroughly enjoyed it so far even learned some futher diverse skill`s. Driven all thorough Europe, and 21.000 miles and 27 states of the USA In a Winnebago. What`s not to like?.

Pete

• Like 1

Collected the car from Hardy Eng and it's transformed 😁. Gone is the harsh vibration under load and deceleration. The rumbling noise has gone and due to the spring now being in the correct angle the suspension seems more compliant. It really was a joy to drive and at last I can use those smooth 6 pot revs! Although both diff and gb are pointing very slightly down it hasn't caused any vibrations I can detect. 

If it's dry I'll go for another drive tomorrow. I can thoroughly recommend Hardy's.

Iain

• Like 2

Iain interesting following the thread, is it possible that can you list what was done by Hardy's to fix the problem from the diff carrier cups relocation to the spring? (transverse) being at the correct angle how was that changed, I know the transverse spring has FRONT stamped on it but I thought the consensus of opinion was that was only to sto confusion on the assembly line!

Peter, my diff assembly was previously altered by removing the bush cups on the upper face of the carrier and rewelded to the bottom face. The bushes were rotated to suit with the cone on the bottom. By doing so it raised the carrier and therefore the diff nose above horizontal to make it more parallel to the slightly downward facing gearbox. However it does then alter the angle of the transverse spring and I assume the geometry of the rear suspension. This was done in an attempt to rectify an excessive driveline vibration at 50+mph which made the car almost unusable but didn't correct the problem. I solved the vibration by correctly locating the bellhousing using the 3/8" odd larger size bolt but the harshness still existed in the driveline and the diff leaked hence the trip to Hardy's.

On inspection Hardy's advised to put it all back as designed and see how it drives. They also found half the drive shaft bolts were barely finger tight. Note I have a cv joint conversion. Also the diff rear bushes were in poor condition. So Hardy's installed a reconditioned diff with a standard carrier, my old front bushes which they said were in good condition and new rear bushes. Therefore the suspension geometry is now apart from my spring spacer as per standard Triumph design. On inspection yesterday it looks as though both diff and gearbox are pointing down but with very little angle on each UJ. However they are not parallel as the boffins advise. I can only assume that the slightly reduced angle between from the gb/prop and prop/diff is possibly more important than getting the diff and gb parallel?? Having said that it could also be the correctly tightened and lengthened  Loctited in driveshaft bolts and new rear bushes. Note Hardy's said my old crown wheel and pinion blued up the same as the recon unit.

As I said the end result is finally after 7 years I have a lovely smooth and quiet driveline interrupted only by the wheelbarrow exhaust and lots of wind noise from both ill fitting door glass! As to the rear end it seems more compliant and the only thing that has changed is the transverse spring angle that's bolted to the top of the diff. If I had to guess the diff has rotated anticlockwise 5 or so degrees.

Even Hardy's said on their test drive what a lovely car to drive and I agree!

Iain 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Thanks for the process wonder how they changed the spring angle packer/spacer on the diff top

The spring spacer hasn't been modified, I think it's a 1/2". By initially rotating the diff up it would have altered the angle of the upright.

Iain

PS I looked at the drawing and can't see how the above can actually change anything apart from cause a lot of unwanted tension in the hub, spring and bushes. Perhaps releasing that tension has allowed everything to move correctly?

Edited by Iain T

Interesting that Hardys have replaced the short bolts with longer ones. I also have the CDD CV conversion and they were supplied with short bolts and Nord-lock washers. I assumed they are deliberately short to prevent ' bottoming out' in the lobro joint part?

I think the short bolts had thin star washers which didn't work as half were hand tight. On my installation there is very little clearance to some small cap head bolts. Hardy's solution was to cut a longer thread to stop bottoming out and loctite them in. Perhaps Nord lock washers may work but there is only 3mm or so clearance. 

Iain