Complete respray price

Hi,

I have finally bitten the bullet and have taken my 1969 Vitesse Convertible to a local restorer to try and bring it back to its former glory.

So far they have stripped the chassis and welded new plates where it had gone rotten, replaced 2 floorpans and sprayed it all with Schultz.

They have also tackled all of the rot on the body, again welding plates where necessary. 

It is now almost ready for the actual respray.

I have seen examples of their work on other cars and it looks very good.

My question is this:

Is £5,000 a reasonable price for a full respray? (Not bare metal).

They charge £40 an hour which sounds reasonable.  I just have a nagging feeling that £5k seems excessive.

Opinions/experiences welcome!

The labour rate of £40/hour is more than reasonable. After paying for body repairs, £5k including labour, materials and vat is fair for the respray in my experience. Prices for classic body restoration work can vary a lot, depending on quality of work, location, problems discovered along the way and many other factors. This means it's difficult to give a definitive answer to your question.

Nigel

If the £5k includes all the work done so far and the respray, then that is not bad.

If it is just the prep and respray, well over the top, you live in Suffolk, not Central London!!!

Perhaps you need to pop along to your local meet, which conveniently is tonight.

Colin

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

If the £5k includes all the work done so far and the respray, then that is not bad.

If it is just the prep and respray, well over the top, you live in Suffolk, not Central London!!!

My local bodyshop made me an offer of full respray of the 13/60 for £2000, that was just a rub-down and respray of existing paint plus treatment of any paintwork requiring filling or tidying, no bodywork. I politely declined - didn't completely refuse - but there is work needed to some areas before I consider the paint, and as I'd just rebuilt a few bits and added the interior trim I didn't want to undo it all again. 

The last time I had a full respray and some minor Bodywork repairs done was in 2004 and this cost £3,000.00

I had several quotes at the time ranging from £2,000 up to £4,500, it lasted well for 10 years or so, but I believe a few issues have now arisen and it could do with further work.

A bare metal job is the way to go if you want it to last. 

Regards 

Gary  

Edited by Gary Flinn

7 minutes ago, andrew suffolk said:

I went to see work in progress today and a bare metal respray is £7k. Probably worth doing because I'll be long dead before it needs doing again!

Where in Suffolk do you live . I live in Pakenham just outside of Bury St Edmunds 

Paul