Steering wheel moves in and out.

Push it downwards, then check the joint in the engine bay. Then pull it upwards, and recheck - if it has moved you'll see the difference. Even taking two photos on a phone to compare can show better than your own eyes. Easy enough to tighten up.

My Herald did the same, it had the original column and rack still undisturbed from 1968, it was the sliding joint under the dash,I just loosened the lock nut and tightened the Allen bolt a touch, weird sized Allen though,couldn't find one to fit in my collection but found a star key that fitted perfectly.

S

yes the inner column has the slide to collapse on an impact  wsm gives some simple clues on setting it up 

the outer column tube will also move as the dash clamp holds spring clamp  

a good heave ho will move both in or out ....its designed to move/collapse

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

The access is pretty poor but the coupling is made up of two identical halves with rubber mountings between the two. One half clamps to the rack input shaft and the other to the column shaft. Here it is from the free to download workshop manual and youve tigthened part 1 now to do part 7 using the clamp bolt 9 & 8. Also check the condition of rubbers and earth wire 3...

image.png.9df68efce4db1bd9421c1b2c1bef00ed.png

52 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Re the rubber bush’s item 4 modern poly bush’s are available I got a Set from SuperPro made here in Aus sold world wide, good quality and seem to be lasting well

I used those myself, an easy job and surprised to find they were black, not blue (not really sure if they improved the steering but they should last longer than the rubber items) but also had to send away for the correct grade of locking wire; I'd rather know if was the right stuff than finding out the hard way that it wasn't!

DSCF9958.jpeg.89b8eebdf147e6f0e7bfbe21795d2a46.jpeg

Not all are that simple to rebush though some had bolts that were not wired and the end of the bolt was splayed, these are much harder if not impossible to rebush

On 12/05/2024 at 23:51, Colin Lindsay said:

also had to send away for the correct grade of locking wire; I'd rather know if was the right stuff than finding out the hard way that it wasn't!

DSCF9958.jpeg.89b8eebdf147e6f0e7bfbe21795d2a46.jpeg

Being Aussie I used standard local fencing galvanised wire if it lasts decades on farmers barbed wire and cyclone fencing it'll last on those bolts!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...