Ignition timing

Carba1984

Good morning, I would like to know if I am adjusting the ignition of my spitfire correctly, the manual says 10 BTDC, I attach an image of where I have adjusted it, the image is from Google already, in my car it is not visible, I have set it to 850 rpm , thanks a lot

IMG_0778.jpeg

Edited by Carba1984

Looks good. There will be a mark on the pulley which must line up with the one you have shown just when the spark comes. With your strobe light connect to spark plug lead 1 and your vacuum disconnected with the engine idling the flashes should show the two marks together....

Ok, thanks! I am trying to solve a problem of unstable idle, my revolutions drop when I stop, I don't know if it is due to a poor mixture but I am not able to adjust the idle, it is difficult in Spain to find information on SU carburetors

Other possible things to check. Can you feel play (movement) in the distributor shaft if you hold the rotor arm and try to move it side to side? Are you using points or electronic ignition? If using points are they set correctly? 
As Pete mentions, it can sometimes be useful to set the timing by ‘feel’. Our engines are old, fuels have changed, and many other factors like that can mean the engine won’t run perfectly on the settings from the manual. So turning the distributor for the highest idle speed, then turning to retard it a little bit, fixing it down and then testing on the road can be worth trying. If it pinks / detonates then retard some more till that stops!

Tried to write that so google translate will have a good chance of getting it right!

1 hour ago, Josef said:

Other possible things to check. Can you feel play (movement) in the distributor shaft if you hold the rotor arm and try to move it side to side? Are you using points or electronic ignition? If using points are they set correctly? 
As Pete mentions, it can sometimes be useful to set the timing by ‘feel’. Our engines are old, fuels have changed, and many other factors like that can mean the engine won’t run perfectly on the settings from the manual. So turning the distributor for the highest idle speed, then turning to retard it a little bit, fixing it down and then testing on the road can be worth trying. If it pinks / detonates then retard some more till that stops!

Tried to write that so google translate will have a good chance of getting it right!

I use electronic Ignition

7 minutes ago, Carba1984 said:

I'm afraid of having a problem with the cranks if I go too far adjusting the distributor, but I can try 17 Deegres like dannyb

Best to increase a few degrees at a time and listen for pinking (rattling noise from engine when accelerating). However I dont think enough advance is your problem....

The best way is set it by ear slowly turn the distributor till it doesn't get faster and then back a bit. Take it for a run, If you get pinking, that high pitched ting! Ting! Ting noise, back a bit more. 

As has been said modern petrol isn't as high octain as the old petrol these cars were designed to run on. Also there will be wear in the mechanical system and you will wind up with a setting which is correct, but nowhere near 10 degrees.

Doug

There is nothing better than learning about a classic English car in an English forum. In Europe, England, Germany, France... you take care of classic cars much better than in Spain, in England you still have spare parts for your classic cars. Congratulations. I also tell you that today Spain 5 - England 0 😂 sorry about this

• Haha 1

I've set 17 degrees and I think that's much better, Now I have to fight with the carburetters, I have an unstable idle when I stop at a traffic light it falls at 200 rpm and then it goes back up slowly or sometimes it turns off

On 14/07/2024 at 14:54, Carba1984 said:

There is nothing better than learning about a classic English car in an English forum. In Europe, England, Germany, France... you take care of classic cars much better than in Spain, in England you still have spare parts for your classic cars. Congratulations. I also tell you that today Spain 5 - England 0 😂 sorry about this

Well, you have better footballers, we have better forums, it balances out!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

does the carbs still have what we call waxstats  on the bottom of the jet .

with age these cause grief

if you have them simple English solution  is remove jet , pry open the crimped bottom cap

remove the wax capsule  must keep the small metal spacer  add 2  x 1p pennies (or equivalent spanish money)   keep the spacer  re crimp the base and 

its done ( re set the mixture afterwards .   do not buy a conversion kit cost  £$£$£ and dont fit well 

so thats my 2 pennyworth 

waxstat jet

SU Carburettor Waxstat Jet Assembly 0.100" LH LZX1127 White / Green Band

Pete 

Posted (edited)

Hi Pete, I don't know if I'm wearing the waxstats, I haven't started disassembling carburetters yet, would you be so kind as to tell me the number in the scheme of what I have to buy? thanks! My carburetters HS4

IMG_0811.png

Edited by Carba1984

If you have waxstat jets then yes.

Have you balanced the carbs?, if you have an airflow balancer it`s easier but can be done by ear?. Can cause lumpy idle if they are out of balance.

S