Fitting Gaz front shocks

Hi Guys fitting new shocks and springs to Vit mk2. 

The top mount obviously goes between the 2 bushes but  should you fit the two cup washers or not each side of the top plate. 

I have included them but top bush is very distorted compounded by the fact that the nylon nut is thick and has to be wound down quite a way to engage the locking.

So include cup washers or not? 

Two locking nuts on topmount preferred  or is nyloc ok ?

Do you need to align the orientation of the bottom mounting to the top plate before fitting spring or will it turn against the spring load afterwards ? Methinks not

20240717_164328.jpg

When I fitted my damperes/springs, I removed the Gaz bushes and washers and replaced with these from Superflex:

https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SF375-0201K

Then use 4 of these (2 each side):

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-147631

One cup washer goes below the lower bush and the other is above the top bush.  You do not need cup washers either side of the top plate becasuet the poly bush moulding already has the correct profile.  Finally, I use a pair of half-nuts at the top, rather than a nyloc:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-NT606041

Hope this helps.

Are we sure though for standard bushes the cup washers dont go either side of the top plate as in the pic I posted? I thought the holes in the top plate accepted the cup washers....

I've just seen this post and looked at my GAZ front shock top bushes. As you can see they are not in great shape. I also can't feel the cup that's welded to the top plate?? I don't want to strip down the shocks so I assume I can undo the unlock nut and inspect the top plate without anything 'orrible happening? If there isn't a cup can I use the loose cups top and bottom together with new top bushes?

Iain 

PS.  I can see that washer I lost years ago in the top photo 😂

IMG_20240723_113916963.jpg

IMG_20240723_114231075.jpg

Edited by Iain T

whilst the car is on the deck you can undo the shocker top with out any nasty load to bite you .

the shocker shaft once out of line can rub against the turret and gives a near untraceable squeaking on road undulations .

Pete

I'll open another Pandora's box tomorrow and post some photo's as to what I find.......🤞

What worries me is how the lower top bush has been fitted. If I jack the front up and take the wheel off I might be able to hopefully see.

Iain

1 hour ago, Ian Foster said:

This is the arrangement on my Konis.

Cup washer either side of rubber bush and twin half nuts rather than a nyloc.

Ian

That`s the same as the Avo`s on my Vitesse, but due to the angle of the shock, they tend to eat bottom poly bushes so I did a Spherical bearing conversion.

Steve

Sorry to hijack the post. I took both top bushes off today and found an odd fitting arrangement. First off my top plates do have the bush cup 😁. Then came the loose cup, the bush, large washer then nyloc nut. So the loose cup was fitted underneath the bush not on top? I refitted the nearside without the cup at the top as the bush was too deformed to fit inside and used the large thick washer. The offside bush is badly deformed and was fitted the same way as the nearside. However when I came to refit again without using the bottom loose cup and just the thick washer there isn't any thread for the nyloc! Now I know why the offside bush was badly deformed and split! The only way I can assemble is to take 3+mm off the bush. I spoke to GAZ and they said they are a pain to fit but surely if one side is ok the other should be fine? The only thing I can think of is the offside is adjusted around 5mm higher to compensate for the drivers weight. 

Suggestions please as I was going to get the poly bush which I probably won't be able to fit .

Iain

IMG_20240724_123341720.jpg

IMG_20240724_123153996.jpg

IMG_20240724_114722973_HDR.jpg

I think you need to get the complete units off to see whats going on. There shouldnt be a difference but maybe one damper has been assembled differently under its upper spring pan to the other...

31 minutes ago, johny said:

think you need to get the complete units off to see whats going on. There shouldnt be a difference but maybe one damper has been assembled differently under its upper spring pan to the other...

Odderer and oddererer! I went to assemble the troublesome offside and on shoving over the shocker shaft to get it in the centre summit went ping and I have more shaft! The bottom assembly couldn't have been seating correctly? All I know is both sides now assemble ok, although I have reduced the length of the bush to remove all the split parts, and on taking for a short drive it's fine. I checked the seating when I returned and nothings moved 🤞. On visually checking the bottom bushes they seem undistorted not overly compressed. I might still buy the chamfered ends poly bushes which look to locate better but I'll only fit the top bush. However I will check the rear shocks!

Iain

• Like 1

Hmmm..

I would certainly investigate further. Many years ago I had fitted some Spax front shocks. After a year or so the car kept pulling to the left. I discovered that the shock central spindle was very loose in the top bush and I could move it about! I dismantled the shock/spring and found that the poor quality rubber bushes had worn very quickly and worn the top spring retaining plate central hole oval - which explained the peculiar handling! 

2 hours ago, trigolf said:

Hmmm..

I would certainly investigate further. Many years ago I had fitted some Spax front shocks. After a year or so the car kept pulling to the left. I discovered that the shock central spindle was very loose in the top bush and I could move it about! I dismantled the shock/spring and found that the poor quality rubber bushes had worn very quickly and worn the top spring retaining plate central hole oval - which explained the peculiar handling

Yes I should really strip them down and take a look. The plate hole seems to be ok but it's worrying. I've ordered all the parts from Rimmer and Superflex but I'll wait until I can get some garage space and borrow some spring clamps as I can't do anything where I live. Just fitting the top bush correctly seems to have made the front end better.

Iain