Engine side valances

Hi all

I'm looking to replace both side valances (903154/5) on my 13/60 as they have rusted through to make a small hole in each one and the French MOT man doesn't like it.

Looking them up I was surprised to see that the only ones available from the usual UK suppliers are second hand (the company has a good reputation so I assume they would be in good condition).

Do any of you know of a source of new ones, or even a detailed drawing with measurements ( in metric if possible) in case I need to get the body shop to make them. The ones fitted would be good enough to copy if they came off ok.

Thanks for any help

I must admit I've never seen them new, most of mine are rusted at the lower edge where it is double skinned and screws into the chassis. I've managed to get some good second-hand ones on eBay over the years but the only solution may be welding a patch, or replacing that long lower extension with better metal?

I wanted some for my GT6 and phoned the club shop. Bern was in the process of changing supplier as what they had were prone to crack.  I eventually got the new ones which are aluminium and very good. So worth ringing the club shop, maybe the supplier might do 13/60 or be persuaded. Sounds like there might be a demand?

Doug

Mine have the rust damaged towards the bottom, I didn't realise they are double skinned, I have assumed the 'thing' 
I can see through the hole was the chassis member.

That well known, and highly respected supplier based in England who's name starts with a 'C' have second hand ones available. I'm following that up.

Welding a patch might be acceptable in the UK by my local MOT man doesn't like them. Mind you he did miss the hole in one of the brackets that hold the (fiberglass) front valance in place. He couldn't find the label with the commission number on either, why didn't he ask me? Plus he noted that the speedometer was in miles. That was an assumption on his part, he should have looked at it as it is in kilometres, I changed it a while ago.

6 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I eventually got the new ones which are aluminium and very good. So worth ringing the club shop, maybe the supplier might do 13/60 or be persuaded.

Aluminium = weight saving = increased performance. I must look into that option, thanks Doug

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

That well known, and highly respected supplier based in England who's name starts with a 'C' have second hand ones available

Crimmer Brothers, right? 

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Hi all

I'm looking to replace both side valances (903154/5) on my 13/60 as they have rusted through to make a small hole in each one and the French MOT man doesn't like it.

Looking them up I was surprised to see that the only ones available from the usual UK suppliers are second hand (the company has a good reputation so I assume they would be in good condition).

Do any of you know of a source of new ones, or even a detailed drawing with measurements ( in metric if possible) in case I need to get the body shop to make them. The ones fitted would be good enough to copy if they came off ok.

Thanks for any help

These are the engine bay valances yes?

I can't think why an MOT tester should have a problem with those, they often hole in the front legs that go down and screw to the chassis, but these aren't really that structural, they bolt to the radiator and the suspension turrets too.

Kind Regards
Jon

Edited by Jon J 1250

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jon J 1250 said:

These are the engine bay valances yes?

I can't think why an MOT tester should have a problem with those, they often hole in the front legs that go down and screw to the chassis, but these aren't really that structural, they bolt to the radiator and the suspension turrets too.

Kind Regards
Jon

Maybe not a problem to a UK MOT tester but my local Contrôle Technique simply worked on the general principle that holes are a failure. I have wondered about getting a second opinion at another centre (77€) 

Edited by Chris A

Do you actually need them? Many GT6/Spitfire owners don't have them. I've only replaced them for the radiator cowling bit which is important for GT6 cooling.The side panels don't do much.

Doug

42 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Maybe not a problem to a UK MOT tester but my local Contrôle Technique simply worked on the general principle that holes are a failure. I have wondered about getting a second opinion at another centre (77€) 

Fair enough, sometimes you can't really argue in these situations, even if they're wrong. 

Depends how particular you are about such things but can you clean out the loose stuff and push bit of filler in the holes, sand down and paint, not different to filling a wing or a door skin really, they are completely non structural. (unless you count supporting the radiator)

Jon

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Do you actually need them? Many GT6/Spitfire owners don't have them. I've only replaced them for the radiator cowling bit which is important for GT6 cooling.The side panels don't do much.

Doug

Hum, I wonder . . 

I could live with the non original bit, but does the radiator need them. I'll have a look and see what I think. Could just take them off for the control then refit them after giving them a bit of a tidy up I suppose.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jon J 1250 said:

Depends how particular you are about such things but can you clean out the loose stuff and push bit of filler in the holes, sand down and paint, not different to filling a wing or a door skin really, they are completely non structural. (unless you count supporting the radiator)

I think I need to see about removing them, looking at the fixing bolts the'll need a good few naughty words thrown at them though to get them out . . .

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, all very positive and gives me a direction to go in, although with my sense of direction I could easily way off track.

When I saw the body shop chap I mentioned that the work was for winter when I don't use the car. I'm road legal at the moment as the tester gave me 'contre visit' report which makes me legal for a couple of months. The incentive is that you do the work quickly and don't them have to pay a test fee.

I was reassured when I went to see them, not knowing if they worked on classics, when just about the first car I saw was a Citröen DS with a front wing off.

Did make some stainless steel ones for my Vitesse, only metal working qualifications O level metalwork back in the sixties. So a proper metal worker should be able to manage them.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20190214_094327~2.jpg

16 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Did make some stainless steel ones for my Vitesse, only metal working qualifications O level metalwork back in the sixties. So a proper metal worker should be able to manage them.

True they aren't a complex shape so the body shop should be able to copy them. To be honest I would have thought that even a simple triangular piece bolted to the radiator and chassis would do the job of holding the radiator steady.

The route I'm going to go with them is firstly remove them and have a close look at the state and see about a repair (filler or metal depending), other choice is get a replacement made locally, either full shape or triangular.

The economics of buying a couple of second hand ones from the UK supplier starts to go against that option. Although the cost at £25 each is reasonable the delivery of £33 plus the real risk of customs duty on top, probably another £30 but an unknown quantity until the postie knocks on the door starts to add up. 

3 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I bought new valances for my GT6 last year from Canley Classics. I think he has them made to order rather than having them in stock. 

They don't seem to offer new ones for the Herald, or at least not on their site nor when I contacted them by mail about the second hand ones.

I've bitten bullet and ordered a pair of the SH ones, they assure me the only holes they have are ones that are supposed to be there. I also ordered a new outrigger.

To be honest I am pretty sure the SH ones will work out cheaper than getting the body shop to make them, if I'm lucky I will be able to get the old ones off and fit the replacements thus saving a wine token or two. I'll let the body shop figure out how to fit the outrigger 😉 and do a couple of other small welding jobs while they have the car.

Which outrigger wants replacing?. Most are a simple "C" section?. Those I made myself with a vice and two sections of Angle iron. (Old bed parts actually).

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Which outrigger wants replacing?. Most are a simple "C" section?. Those I made myself with a vice and two sections of Angle iron. (Old bed parts actually).

Pete

Rear passenger side. I've ordered a new one from the UK along with the second hand side valances. I've just paid the 43.98€ to UPS for customs clearance and documentation charges etc. This is on top of the cost of items and postage. So hopefully they'll get fitted, if not they'll do as expensive paperweights