Spin on oil filter spanner

Mack

36 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes Ive seen that so it can be done although how theres no filter drain back issues I dont know!

Don't worry about it, you already have enough to worry about being a Triumph owner 😁

• Like 1

On 13/08/2024 at 19:19, johny said:

It is tight especially if you have the filter angled down as much as possible so I use one of these but with the threaded rod reduced in length to make it easier to get a bit of movement. Youve only got to get it unstuck and then do it by hand....

image.png.316300a859fccb3283da4a09d9f3364c.png

Have used one of these type occasionally.Works fine.

Only once have I had to  resort to the ‘drive a screwdriver through it  for leverage leverage’ approach.

Oil filters - and wheel nuts , seem  to be things that get overtightened for no reason.

5 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

They always seem to be tighter to remove by hand than when originally tightened by hand? 

In my case it's because a year has passed and I've got weaker 🥺

21 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

No, no, it's obviously the air flow through the engine bay minutely tightening the canister. :)

Doug

No doubt someone will ask that if the filter tightens on UK roads then why doesn't it unwind on European roads where they drive on the other side?

Wheel nuts!  Don't tell me about wheel nuts!

When my old Citroen C5 was a young car, it went to the dealer for service.   I asked them to rotate the wheels to even out tyre wear.

When it returned, I wanted one off for some reason, had to resort to a breaker bar to get the nuts off, and found that ALL the nuts were overtightened, some by TWICE the book torque, a few THREE TIMES.    Yes, 180ft-lbs!!!

The dealer confessed that they had deputised the job to an apprentice with a whizzy gun - and gave me  a free service next time!

John

I once has a new tyre on my old mini. Driving home a wheel bolt sheered and it was clear from the wobbling about that the remaing three nuts were loose. I've paid particular attention to wheel nut tightness ever since. 

Doug

21 minutes ago, johny said:

Just remembered, Sprint ones are aluminium arent they😨 Wonder if thats unique?

No, if I remember correctly Stag & 2500S Alloys use Aluminium wheel nuts too.

Gary