Nuts Screws Washers and Bolts!

t-stag

Hi All.

I'm busy restoring all the parts to go back on my Vitesse MkII Convertible.  The cleaned up chassis is away being welded and refabricated by an expert.

What would you recommend with all the nuts, screws, washers and bolts (I know, an old joke): use again; buy new ones - some companies supply a complete kit; or replace with stainless steel - at a cost.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

The club shop sell these. I often think when grubbing around for the right bolt " I really should buy a big pack!" Re-using is OK except for critical stuff, surprisingly head nuts can be re-used several times, but not their washers.

image.thumb.png.be535676d4d2f15a6a863433595161b4.png

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

Firstly: work out the most popular nut and bolt for your car. You may use plenty of 5/16, 3/8 and 7/16 but many of the kits come with large quantities of sizes that are never used at all. I know by experience! For many years now I've just gone to firms like Spalding Fasteners and bought a bag of 30 or even 50 UNF bolts in the most common size, with corresponding nuts and washers, and used those, and whilst it seems like a lot I've had to go back for more, repeatedly. It does save money in the long run.

On 29/08/2024 at 09:45, Pete Lewis said:

we will be selling a selection of bolts nuts for pennies at shuttleworth sept 8th

all bolts 25p  nuts 10p  washers 5p  head nuts  40p

all new old stock 

Pete

Pete

Any 7/16" UNF Wheel Nuts among the ones for sale?

Gary

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

sorry only 3/8 weeny capped ones 

got  7/16"unf Nuts  but thats no help either  

Pete

Pete

Ok, I was given a Tub full of Triumph Nuts/Bolts by a mate who used to own various Triumphs, so there may well be some second hand ones in there, I think I'll bite the bullet and get some new ones though.

Gary

I have decided to use BZP (Bright Zinc Plate) fasteners as much more economic than stainless steel.

Local supplier is Namrick in Hove, www.namrick.co.uk, for UNF and UNC fasteners.

Seems sensible to replace all the fasteners as they are 55 years old!

Just need to check that the new ones aren't manufactured in China.

Steve