Wheels: original versus alloy...

Can I ask a quick related question?

My recent mk2 gt6 purchase came with minator wheels but I also had the original wheels and centre caps included in the sale (although these may be off a mk3, how do I tell?). At some point I'd like to get these refurbished to get that full stock look so what is the usual method/requirement for getting them refurbed as in what type of finish etc?

Cheers

Steve

MK2 GT6 https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/0d/34/05/0d3405db8021ade5198e57abae34b18e.jpg

MK3 GT6 http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/triumph/827116.jpg

on the mk2 the wheel looks like a normal hubcap steel wheel under the rostyle hubcap. Should be 4.5 j (indeed so should a mk3, but they have all the holes in the actual rim)

Clive that's really helpful thanks and given that the trims cover up the wheels I may not need to get them refurbished straight away. No doubt finding a set of trim won't be easy. I did watch some in eBay over the weekend but although they said they were for a gt6 when I asked I had been told they were for 15" wheels not 13".

Maybe I'll find some at Newark auto jumble next week!

Cheers

Steve

They used to be a tenner for a good set....

15" trims? they will be TR5. Good sets fetch huge money. 

BTW same trims used on Vitesse and (I think??) 2000 saloon. Double check the saloon fitment, may be a different attachment.

I used to be firmly in the "keep it looking original" camp when I got the Vitesse. Until that was one of the fake Rostyle trims threw itself at the scenery on a semi rural road recently, a walk back along the footpath located it embeded in the severed branches of the hedgerow. Thank heavens that there was no one, especially a child, walking along the path at the time!

No question in my mind, period style alloys such as Cosmic/Dunlop/Minilite replicas are absolutely fine and what a lot of owners would have fitted in the 60s and 70s. I have gone for Minilites with diamond cut rims and high gloss black centres with chrome nuts and cap almost mimic the Rostlyes.

I also think that proper 5.5J steels with chrome knave plates look lovely and early Formula Ford steels will fit Triumph hubs. They look very nice but have no centre caps . Just avoid banded steels!

I agree with Peter's remarks regarding better wheel studs but would point out that in addition to using larger studs it is possible to obtain stronger 3/8 studs as well. I have these fitted on my 1955 Standard 8 after breaking a stud whilst relining the brakes.

Steve

I'm not sure what size steels I have, I'll have to check, but they are the ones with the holes all around the outside of the rim. I then have the chrome centres which I presume you call knave plates. I do think polished up these would look really good so may be I will give it a go as I'm sure I'm never going to get everything back to original on the car particularly quickly!

On the subject of original parts, if anyone comes across a rear seat or for some reason is getting rid of one do let me know, I'm trying to get my wife out to drive the car but unless I can accommodate our children it just isn't going to happen and soon they will be too big to squeeze in!

Thanks for all of your replies, they haven been really helpful.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

I've just acquired my first Spitfire (74) and and would like to fit new steel wheels as the existing ones are looking a bit tired but cant find anyone that sells them. Does anyone know of anywhere that supplies them?

Brad

Can't buy them new, so it will be eBay of one of the traders who deal in used items such as Spitfire Graveyard or local to me in Devon is a guy known as Tavistock Steve, but sells plenty on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/triumphspitfirespares?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 or call him on 07976 735590, he's always got all sorts there.

There is a notorious trader in SE London that will probably have some, but buy from them at your peril.....