Wheels: original versus alloy...

On page 34 of the new "Practical Classics" is a letter that pretty well sums up my own thoughts regarding alloy wheels on a classic car as opposed to the manufacturer's originals.

I have replaced my shiny alloys with the original steel wheels, basically, I got bored with the alloys. Yes, you can feel a difference, the alloys were superior in a lot of respects but I really prefer the original look.

How do YOU feel about this?

Well, its 'each to his own' I guess.

When I first got my GT6 I had seen a few beautifully restored examples which had minilite type wheels and they looked very good. I thought that when I could afford it I might buy a set for my car, but I had lots of other priorities in the meantime.

However, over a period of time I saw more and more cars on the minilites and to be honest I got a bit bored with them.  I decided that I prefered to stay with the original five and a half inch wheels the car was already on.

I have retained the original wheels and hubcaps on my otherwise much-modified Vitesse.  For me, the fake Ro-Syles typify a particular range of Triumphs in the late sixties/early seventies.  I realise that there are benefits of alloys but I am sticking to the original hubcaps.

Tom

really like the wide 5 1/2j wheels with hubcaps on the early cars. Sadly they are thin steel and often a bit bent (in case anybody finds a set, do check very carefully)

on my Spitfire I have original steel wheels at teh moment, but also a set of 15" alloys (to change the gearing for touring) which give the car a very different look. 

It is all  very personal, I like the slightly "twee" look of early heralds with skinny steels and tyres, but I also like the modded look on cars especially when lowered etc. What I don't like are fat wheel on otherwise std cars, it needs to be part of a "package" for me. 

Must agree, the minilites on the GT4L are tasty! not often I am a great fan of minilites, but they really suit that 60's style

I will don my tin hat. I am no fan of wires except on prewar cars.

Wobbly, difficult to maintain and positively lethal if teh hubs/splines get at all worn. Yes, a mate did find out the hard way, his rear ns wheel came off, luckily at low (30ish) speed. Narrowly missed a bloke on a pavement and demolished a garden wall. Could have been MUCH worse. and he did say it took hours to clean a set of wires properly.

post-210-0-94647900-1460982452_thumb.jpg

I have retained the original wheels and hubcaps on my otherwise much-modified Vitesse.  For me, the fake Ro-Syles typify a particular range of Triumphs in the late sixties/early seventies.  I realise that there are benefits of alloys but I am sticking to the original hubcaps.

Tom

I couldn't agree more Tom, just converted my TR5 back to Rostyles, love the look of em, just need to make sure they don't go flying off into the distance!

I changed from standard steel wheels with hub-caps to wires on my mk3 Spit. Much against advice - everyone said I should go for alloys. But they totally 'made' the car visually. Yes they creak and are a devil to clean, and I guess if I were to push the car I'd notice their lack of rigidity, but boy doesn't it look good.

My car runs Minilites - as fitted by the PO. However, when I bought it I also took ownership of the original steel wheels. My plan is to refit these following their refurbishment as I prefer the original look, but I suspect the extensive corrosion may have rendered them irretrievable...

Gully

Thankyou all for your comments on this and please keep them coming. It was Minilite type wheels I was running, they are a lovely wheel but I am happy with the originals back in place. I'm interested in all opinions,for or against!

My car runs Minilites - as fitted by the PO. However, when I bought it I also took ownership of the original steel wheels. My plan is to refit these following their refurbishment as I prefer the original look, but I suspect the extensive corrosion may have rendered them irretrievable...

Gully

Seek out some good ones, the 4 1/2j originals are very common and should be cheap. 

If you want the 5 1/2j variety (still unsure, there are so many around they must have been fitted by the factory or as a dealer-fit wheel? anybody actually know for certain?) they are getting tricky to find ad sensible price. But they look great on the cars. Or a compromise solution of teh late spitfire 1500 5J wheel. And all look perfectly original.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i have a full set of 5.5 steels to go on eventually but if i did alloys i would go with revolutions as you don't see them that often.

i like minilites but there everywhere now. at the end of the day its personal taste.

What ever you go for steel or alloy please consider replacing the weeny 3/8" lets strip it or it shears off std Triumph stud with an upgrade to bullet proof 7/16"or 12mm studs and nuts

been posted many times but a really worthwhile and relatively cheap safety and reliability improvement

pete

• Like 1

I totally agree Pete. The 12mm studs certainly are a cheap mod and instil a lot of peace of mind.

I have to say that I am in the original steel wheels camp. It is absolutely a matter of personal taste but in my opinion a set of pristine original steel wheels with a nice set of centres cannot be beaten. You may well say then why did you fit Minilites? I pondered long and hard before making the decision and in the end it was the cost of refurbishing a set of steels and the slight weight saving offered by the alloys.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask a quick related question?

My recent mk2 gt6 purchase came with minator wheels but I also had the original wheels and centre caps included in the sale (although these may be off a mk3, how do I tell?). At some point I'd like to get these refurbished to get that full stock look so what is the usual method/requirement for getting them refurbed as in what type of finish etc?

Cheers

Steve