Herald Bleeding of the clutch

Andrew

Hello

Bit of advice needed please

I am going to change my clutch Master cylinder (as it is leaking)and I am going to take the opportunity to change the fluid as it has not been changed for a number of years. The advice I need is the easiest way to get a spanner on the slave cylinder bleed nipple. AS it seems to be difficult to get at so any bright ideas or tricks would be most welcome.

Why is the nipple on the top of the cylinder and the pipe on the bottom, is there a reason for this?

Thank you in advance

Andrew

I have, in the past, managed to get a ring spanner on the bleed nipple and  turn it. But recently it wouldn't play, the only way then is tunnel off. I take it when you say "change the clutch master cylinder" you mean the rubber seals and not the whole thing? Because it's almost certainly the seal that's leaking.

Hello Andrew.

I had to renew the clutch master cylinder on my Vitesse recently and I could hardly see the slave cylinder to bleed it !! In the end I removed the air filter box and a couple of other bits out of the way and I could then get access. Even then it was still a pig of a job - I'm not sure if your top layout is the same but it may just do the the job.

However as the other guys have said tunnel off gives ample access.

Something I thought of doing / designing was a hydraulic pipe extension from the slave allowing far easier access when such a job needs to be done. The extension from the slave remains in situ.

If I recall, Paul was not that smitten with the idea as another thing to go wrong, BUT the fact that this topic has risen again it is something I will now look in to and I believe that an alternative to tunnel off can be achieved. Of course if the slave needs replacing then there is no other way than tunnel off; certainly as a far as my Vitesse goes.

Regards.

Richard.

on 6 cyls  it pays when tunnel  is off to fit an extension to the nipple port and move the bleeder to the engine bay

even use an old brake hose with adadptor union to take the nipple

on 4 cyl  its not anything as difficult  the slave is visible on the  N/S of the clutch hsg and with a thin body or a low ramp can be easily twiddled from under the car,   and if needs removal is just a single bolt clamp 

again nothing stops you adding an extension and fit a bleed in the engine bay .

always replace the fluid every 2 years of its going to be half water 

Pete

• Like 1

Hi all I am going to buy a new master cylinder tomorrow from Fitchetts so intend to do the job next weekend wheather permitting so I will let you know my results and what I actually needed to so. Just a thought wouldn't it be a good idea for the manufacturer of new gearbox tunnels to include a inspection hatch just for this particular job of bleeding the clutch. Or am I being silly. Your thoughts please

Andrew

land rover do a 0.75 cyl for around £12    same fittings    not quite right bore but depends what you want to spend

a top up hatch for the oil level is a good call many do have this,  but on a 4 cyl the slave is accessible from down under 

why make hard work of it ???

Pete

Hi Pete

I will take your word for it until I have removed all the skin from my hands trying to get to the nipple. Can I send you the hospital bill. I have asked Father Christmas for a two post lift in my garage only problem is it will not fit in and the ceiling of the garage is the floor of my bedroom. Am I sad for asking for this?

Andrew

A socket with a universal joint and along extention can often get at remote fitting

if you prefere to remove the tunnel dont let me stop you, ita alll good experience

On herald and vitesse you may need to remove (two nuts and a cable) the heater distribution case.

to get the top lip of the tunnel out , its all down to angles and fiddles, you can check the gear remote bushing while in there

Sorry sticky plasters are on shortage right now

There are no garage height adjusters on e bay.

Pete