Herald 13/60 Compression Pressures

PeteH

Hi

Quick one here. What should the compression pressure be when tested with a gauge?

My old Gunson Gauge is showing 1) 235psi 2)215psi 3)230psi 4)230psi.

These seem somewhat high? but are within a 10% tolerance.

Pete

compression testers are not really a calibrated instrument, so the actual readings are not that important (within reason!)

If yours are all that close, I would be happy.

I presume that was with wide open throttle. Have you repeated but putting a teaspoon-ish of engine oil in each cylinder? That can be informative. 

Hi.

MY thoughts are that the Gauge (40+yrs old) needs recalibrating!.

I expected about 130 to 160 psi. The engine is on the bench and the test(s) performed using a freshly charged battery, plugs out, first run "as is" second run with oil in the cylinders, I suspect the "low" reading may be due to valve leakage rather than rings. I plan now to have the head off anyway, mainly to check if the head has been converted to "unleaded" status. at which time I will have a look at the bores.

I have a 12/50 manual, which shows the Compression pressure as circa 136psi. But I was looking for the 13/60 figures. which would /could be different?.

Pete

• 7 years later...

Hi Chaps;

My Swiss chum came over with his compression tester. Took out the plugs and turned my 1147 Saloon on each cylinder. He's now gone so I can't ask, but whereas your figures state psi (?) My cylinders were measured as follows;

Cyl 4: 10 Cyl 3: 10 Cyl 2: 9.5 Cyl 1: 10

Does anyone know what units these would be?? 

Best, Colin 

Ah; well . . . When the Gov began to alert us that 4* leaded was to disappear, I took advantage of swapping to a John Kipping (ledge!) unleaded head. That was decades ago! So clearly the hardened valves and seats have done their work, too!!😉

• Like 1