Triumph Herald 1200 Leaking Master Cylinder

Bordfunker

I refurbished the brake master cylinder on my Herald 1200 a couple of months back after discovering a leak while cleaning up the bulkhead.

I replaced the seals and reassembled the cylinder, and everything looked fine, however I have now noticed that it is leaking again.

Having checked the piston seal, this is fine with no sign of a leak.

Which leads me to suspect either a hole in the cylinder casting itself, or more likely a leak at the union from the cylinder to the brake pipe.

Having looked online I can see complete brake pipe kits, but might really only need a couple of unions and a length of pipe made up.

Can anyone suggest where to get these?

Thanks

Karl

I would undo the union, there may be crude inside from when you took it apart before. Do it up tight and see if it still leaks. There are motor factors about who sell ready made short lengths and there's also Ebay, this sort of thing  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-pipes-made-for-Classic-cars-Lotus-MG-Rover-Triumph-3-16-Cunifer-up-to-60cm/291917364242?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D179381c88ef940cab2beb071dffb702a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D291917364250

Many places will make you a pipe up to length for a few quid. When measuring don't forget to allow extra so a coil "pigtail" can be incorporated (it allows for movement)

However, are you sure fuid is not escaping from the lid? I have had that where the seal was not doing its job..... amazing how much the fluid gets splashed about in the reservoir.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Doug, the union itself is pretty chewed up, and looks damp where the pipe exits, so I'm fairly happy to replace it.

Clive, the lid is also suspect as pointed out by the missus who was assisting with the pedal pumping.

This is the type of master cylinder I've got, and the metal,lid that sits at the base of the clear plastic top is corroded.

IMG_20160929_191203.jpg

Pete, I may get some of those in as useful standby.

Thanks again

Karl

Guess thats a 5/8"bore 0.625"

later were 0.7" on type 16 calipers ( might be on the type 14s)

there are very cheap landrover specd cylinders that are the same base design but 0.75" so less stroke but higher pedal load , you dont really want a .75 on a .625 but many use them and at under £15

Its economical but not quite correct

they are same fit but need the orig pushrod swapping over

pete

The plastic top extension is to allow some visual warning capability it also increases the resv. volume

Mainly to increase capacity for (originaly) optional disc brakes.  I wouldn't run discs without either the extension or a larger M/C resevoir

C.

Guys

Can I just add a comment. I have a 13/60 and had exactly the same issue with my MC leaking. I don't want to Appear clever do what I did buy a replacement MC complete as then you know the bores and the seals are new. The new one is a plastic reservoir but that is the point you can see the fluid level.

From memory the new MC was approx £40 from

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

It looks like the fluid is leaking out from the thread on the alloy cap, so I might be able to get away with replacing the runner seal, which I didn't bother replacing when I rebuilt the rest of the cylinder.

The reason I didn't replace it was because the cap was stuck firmly on, and so I left as is.

Lesson learned!

Karl

Metal caps on alloy cylinders can become one and many left unattended are in need of giant gland nut pliers to get them removed

On the christmas list get a pair of 16" gland nut or slip joint pliers always good for oil filters fitted by gorilla's and things tight like caliper pistons etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neilsen-Slip-Joint-Plier-Water-Pump-16-400mm-Brake-Calipers-Pliers-Grips-8Q-/281067745979?hash=item4170f172bb:g:6yQAAMXQyY1TSQ2K

You can buy replacement MC from any motorsport suppliers, mostly clear plastic if you're not worried about originality.

Similarly if you want to keep the original setup with the plastic extension, fitted for the extra fluid required when brake discs were introduced, you can get replacement seals to stop any leaks. Mick Dolphin had some of the metal tightening rings as NOS a while ago, so they're still available. 

Thanks for that Colin.

For now I've simply removed the plastic extension and metal sealing ring, and cleaned both up to remove 40+ years of crud.

I did drain the fluid down to below the level of the plastic extension piece in the MC.

I also cleaned up the thread on the MC itself with a wire brush, having first plugged the reservoir to stop contamination of the fluid.

Next up was fitting the rubber seal itself, which was obviously designed for the MC without extension, and therefore featured too small a diameter central hole.

Out with a craft knife and a circle template, and 5 minutes later we have an appropriately sized seal.

The whole lot has be put back and the fluid topped back up.

Hopefully that will be the last we see of the leak, but time will tell.

Karl

Apparently not!

The MC has started leaking even worse than before, no doubt due to me removing crud that had helped keep it fluid tight!

Time to bite the bullet and buy a replacement.

So 15 minutes this afternoon spent removing the MC and mounting bracket, leaving me with this.

6565DE52-9D4D-4B0B-90CB-1CC5988068BA.jpg

The sheen is from all the brake fluid that has leaked out.

I'll have to give it all a wipe down with White Spirit.

Karl

Have they changed the formula of brake fluid over the last 25 years?

I remember that brake fluid used to strip paint at the merest contact when I had my Mini back in the early 90s.

I'll give it all a wash down ahead of the new MC turning up later this week.

Karl