Replacing soft top windows

jamesdennison

The mohair hood on my soft top is in good condition but the windows need replacing.

My thoughts are to "simply" get hold of some of the correct grade plastic, undo the stitches on the existing one, cut the plastic to size and carefully stitch in the new one...... is it this simple?  or am I entering a world of pain?

Anyone recommend a supplier?

Thanks

James 

I have no experience of exactly this, however I have done a bit of sewing. Shirt buttons aside I've stitched domestic plastics and leather. They are difficult to perforate, doing it by hand you'll certainly need a strong thimble just to get through the existing holes in the fabric, let alone the plastic. I'm not sure a domestic sewing machine would cope. I wonder if you could pre-perforate the new plastic using the old ones as a model? 

Hi,

If there are no holes in the windows; I would buy some PVC window polish and make them clear again.

Cheers,

Iain.

I've tried the stuff sold by the club shop - made a difference a few years ago when windows were not so bad, but not really doing the job now.  Not tried standard pvc cleaner - I guess I could give that a go.

One of the issues is that I have speakers on the panel between the fuel tank and the cabin, over the years these have marked the window and created bulges in the plastic.

No holes!

I have no experience of exactly this, however I have done a bit of sewing. Shirt buttons aside I've stitched domestic plastics and leather. They are difficult to perforate, doing it by hand you'll certainly need a strong thimble just to get through the existing holes in the fabric, let alone the plastic. I'm not sure a domestic sewing machine would cope. I wonder if you could pre-perforate the new plastic using the old ones as a model? 

I was thinking about carefully removing the stitching and taking out the existing plastic so I could use it as a template for cutting the new window and possibly making the holes in advance of stitching if needed.  Hoping someone has done this before and can give me some tips.  The sort of thing there is probably a special tool for!

One of those jobs that I'd not try to tackle all at once - maybe half an hour every evening.  Probably do this on the car rather than taking the frame off.

.... but it is one of those tasks that once you've started there is no return!

depends on the make and cost of the hoods 

there's both out there and think the bonding is a heat welded process, rather than some adhesive process

out the box idea's  like ....dont think clear silicon bath sealer  type stuff  will work well unless you can keep it pressed flat till  it cures ???

VELCRO....I mended a trouser zip as apprentice to save money....but the noise of ripping a sticky plaster off the nether regions was a bit alarming 

if your over in herts  area this guy does a lot of good and economical work for our locals

A R Pound

http://baldock.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/a---r-pound-12946743.html

Pete

• 1 month later...

Having a go at cleaning first..... and it seems to be working.

I bought a plastic polish from http://www.glasspolishshop.com/ and I'm using a polishing attachment on my drill.

Seemed a bit extreme to be using a drill at first but it is making quite a difference.

Pics are not great but one side has been polished and the other side not.  With a bit more work I think I can bring the windows back almost like new.

post-472-0-03912500-1486800966_thumb.jpgpost-472-0-39398700-1486801007_thumb.jpg