modded gt6

DrKai

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice GT6M. I may well. 

Update: 

Propshaft shortened 

Engine in. After a lot of faff. When lowering it down found the larger damper was fouling on the steering rack. Moved the rack down by making 25*100 box section. Welding it beneath the original mounts to get a known drop. Transfering the mounting holes down and cutting the top out. Relieving the main chassis rail for the bottom of the column and then reinforcing the hell out of it as it's directly above the front wishbone mount.

Put the jenvey heritage TBs on and my are they gorgeous. The linkage they send with them is a single linkage on the central body which has wings on the spindle which attach to the other two. Didn't like this for a few reasons mainly it fouls the bonnet but also it's just not as pretty. So I put the usual triple Weber bar linkage on but the spindles on the jenveys are much large and the standard Weber throttle arms don't fit. Queue an eye watering exchange with jenvey and 3 new arms on the way.

Swirl pot design finished and waiting for some quotes 

Also started work on the water pump mounting bracket. Currently upgrading my printer so I'm hopeful I can print this in carbon reinforced ABS and use as functional part rather than just prototyoing

Alternator mounted. Correct length belt found. Nice turnbuckle adjuster made

IMG_20201215_152646.jpg

IMG_20201215_152014.jpg

IMG_20201215_121806.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20201211-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20201130-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20201130-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20201130-WA0012.jpeg

IMG-20201130-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20201130-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20201129-WA0024.jpeg

IMG-20201129-WA0026.jpeg

IMG_20201129_165655.jpg

IMG_20201129_163420.jpg

IMG_20201129_155312.jpg

IMG-20201129-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20201129-WA0008.jpeg

IMG_20201129_132811.jpg

IMG_20201129_124858.jpg

Ah yes, I meant to put that bit in. I changed the track rod ends to rod ends as you may be able to see in one of the pictures. I designed some conical inserts which convert the steering arms to a straight bore. They are coming with the trigger wheel and alternator spacer. When they arrive I can mount the rod end under the steering arm. I modelled it with the racing aspirations calculator and it suggests this will be better than the stock position on a lowered car so WIN. But I will leave the final spacer length between the arm and the bearing for when the car is fully assembled to ensure minimal . 

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

The production quality print of the water pump adapter arrived and I think it has come out very nicely

The throttle bodies are on and after some faff replacing the jenvey spindle parts to allow use of a typical triple Weber linkage all seems to be working well

The water pump bracket is printed and fitted, attached via some rivnuts in the chassis

IMG_20210104_164756.jpg

IMG-20210104-WA0012.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

With the throttle bodies on I thought I'd turn me attention to the rest of the induction system. The only airbox I liked the look of was from reverie and a nice sum of £700 or so. I couldn't bring myself to do it so set about designing my own. 

The plan is to 3d print in carbon reinforced nylon and epoxy together. Hence the model being split down the centre with a detail to hide the seem and make the bond stronger. I just need to add mounting tabs for the back plate, draw said back plate and I can run a test print. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great work DrKai, I was faced with the airbox challenge on my TR6, a chap made this one for me, very limited space on an early TR6 due to the inner wing not having a full length cutout section, I have 15mm trumpets fitted inside the box.

Ian

box.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Body is on!! Despite all my bracing it seems the shell twisted slightly while doing all the bodywork. As such a couple of the mounting holes were off by 5-10mm. Some extra long die grinder bits later and its down

Despite the 1 inch lowering block the rear still seems to be sitting rather high (even when test fitting the cage) and there isn't a huge amount more weight to go in so may need addressing 

gt61.jpg

55 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Another mile stone past. Looking good. Have you tightened the suspension fully, might be worth not tightening until fully ladened and had time to settle. It will prob sort when moved forward!

Nope left all the suspension bolts loose for this reason and given it a good roll back and forth and jumped up and down on it. But yh 🤞 it will settle 

• 6 months later...

Another long break. Have moved to London for training so only managing stuff on the occasional weekend. That being said:

Trigger wheel back from shop and fitted

Alternator mounted and correct new length belt in

Cooling system mock up pretty much finished. I just need to rotate the inlet on the rad slightly and sort proper hoses. 

Airbox mock up in and fitting well. Will be printed in CF reinforced nylon

Oil filter bracket in

Roll cage in and all support plates welded up

Started patching the rear wheel arch but ran out of wire! 

IMG-20211017-WA0030.jpeg

IMG-20211017-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20211017-WA0034.jpeg

IMG-20211016-WA0026.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I was only having a look at this yesterday! Love the size of that airbox! Are you going to have a big scoop to suck small birds in to feed it. Is that turbo going to be big enough and are you having an intercooler?

Definitely feeding small birds but through an inlet in the front bumper rather than a scoop most likely. 

No turbo just NA induction noise goodness 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2022 at 02:03, saleon said:

Speaking of Remote filters, where did you get your remote filter plate from DrKai? I've been looking for one myself.

Marcus, I've got a 1 QT accusump, but no idea where best to plumb it, where do you run yours?

AJ

Sorry Saleon. Haven't checked this for a while. Do you mean the sandwich plate takeoff from the block or the remote filter plate?3

OooooooooooooooooooooooooooooH, Doctor, you've got a big'un!

Sorry about the Carry On-ism, but having advocated larger chambers for the air intakes, and said that I had the biggest that could be fitted, I'm proved wrong.   That is as effective as it is impressive, I'm sure!

John

On 02/08/2022 at 09:36, JohnD said:

OooooooooooooooooooooooooooooH, Doctor, you've got a big'un!

Sorry about the Carry On-ism, but having advocated larger chambers for the air intakes, and said that I had the biggest that could be fitted, I'm proved wrong.   That is as effective as it is impressive, I'm sure!

John

you may still be right. Having decided I like the look of the original shaped bonnet over the lemans, none of this now fits. Stepped manifold and much reduced airbox to come

• 1 year later...