Spitfire 1500 dashboards

Fraser64

As the dash on my 1500 is looking slightly jaded and worn I am replacing and 'upgrading' it. I have bought a standard replacement as a template which looks very smart but it got me thinking about other gauges/radios and such. Right now my radio is located in the 'H' frame but that seems an ideal place for a couple of gauges, if I do that where does the radio go?

I'm a gadget freak and already own a CNC router/laser engraver along with to much other stuff (can there be to much other stuff?) and have the facility to manufacture and cut my own blanks. My 'expertise' is in the manufacture, as SWMBO will often comment, my design skills are not my strong point (magnolia, wonderful stuff, covers all sins).

With the amount of extra gauges and such available It feels like it could be very easy to make it look like a dogs dinner so does anyone have any photos of their dashboards they would care to share for ideas of locations and what you would consider worth while additions in the way of gauges. The obvious one missing to me is a clock along with an oil pressure gauge.

Thanks

Ian.

Ian, I love gauges. I took out my radio and replaced it with a wood panel containing 3 gauges, Oil, vacuum and amps. Amps recently died and replaced with volts. As the space is small and 3 gauges take a lot of space there's not a lot of wood on show so it's any easy job to make the wood look good, stain and varnish and so on. Also contemplating getting a combined oil and temperature gauge which would free up a space for another gauge, new amps or clock possibly?

As for the radio I'm thinking about the tiny parcel shelf, well, envelope shelf, to the right of the steering wheel. Radio would fit but radio volume controls are always on the left, why is that?!! If the volume was on the right this space would be ideal.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

The "alternative" radio location is in a "glovebox" but a faff in teh drivers side, or indeed passenger.

I took the step of ditching the radio altogether, and have a small power amp tucked away out of sight with a flying lead (although a socket could easily be fitted somewhere) so an MP3 player can be plugged in. Works for me.....but no actual radio.

Don't forget to add some charging points too for satnav/mp3/phone etc etc. I popped an extra fag lighter socket in the passenger glovebox, and a double usb thingy now resides in it.

And to buck the trend, I have no extra "worry" gauges. If I did I would add oil pressure and possibly oil temp. It is enough hassle keeping an eye on fuel and water temp (for me) but others love their gauges!

Yep. Think I have a new one in a box somewhere......

Fitting the sender requires some thought. Easiest way is to replace the drain plug with a sensor and adaptor. I had a cheapo one on my 1500 Toledo (one reason I ended up changing to TR7 engine, the oil was suffering badly, even with a cooler)

The "alternative" radio location is in a "glovebox" but a faff in teh drivers side, or indeed passenger.

I have a small power amp tucked away out of sight with a flying lead (although a socket could easily be fitted somewhere) so an MP3 player can be plugged in. Works for me.....but no actual radio.

Difficult to get at when driving - the Ford Mondeo has a plug-in socket for iPods etc in the glovebox and it's a nightmare to get at unless you pull over and park somewhere.

I'm rerouting mine through the ashtray as it has to be more use than just holding odd screws or 5p pieces. 

I think it's time we invented a few new gauges for our cars as the old ones are becoming boring - how about trunnion oil level, gearstick angle, and steering wheel temperature gauges? Wiper pressure indicator? Radio volume warning lights? Any ideas?

• Like 2

A friend has a giant Citroen that can tell you individual tyre pressures, how does that work?!! One of the sensors failed and the flat tyre warning light flashed persistently, so he took the bulb out. 

Made the mistake of going onto the Smiths web site, Ambient Air Temperature, a very pretty gauge with green and brown sections! I need one.

Hello All

Only a GT6 owner would need an Ambient Temperature gauge?

The rest of know as it is the same inside as out and we do not need shorts in the winter? :D

How about an inclinometer I think an acclerometer would be a bit pointless know matter what we think :rolleyes:

Roger

I think Ambient means outside air temperature, however, GT6 driver's shorts temperature might be worthwhile, but where would I put the sensor? :o

I know.

That's what I mean we are not slowly? being cooked :lol::unsure::wacko::blink: so can tell the temperature(but it does sound nice in this cold weather)

Roger

A friend has a giant Citroen that can tell you individual tyre pressures, how does that work?!! One of the sensors failed and the flat tyre warning light flashed persistently, so he took the bulb out. 

Made the mistake of going onto the Smiths web site, Ambient Air Temperature, a very pretty gauge with green and brown sections! I need one.

those ambient temp gauges are rare and go for over £200 on ebay, saw one the other week.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am going to use the gap in the h support for an oil pressure gauge, analogue clock and probably volt meter.

I like the idea on another thread of using the ashtray 'orifice' as a phone docking station but am left with what to do about a radio.

Ideally i would like to find a very small radio tuner unit the size of a Smiths gauge that I could mount in the dash but I can't find anything anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian.

I bet this would be an expensive audio solution - a Marine radio unit with hideaway electronics and round control panel - can't see any dimensions for the panel but it looks bigger than a Smiths gauge.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units/ms-bb100

Searching the web for Marine Radio MP3 players seems to bring up quite a range of circular-mount solutions, but the smallest I can see is 9cm diameter.

If you wanted to swap positions of the tuning and volume controls, maybe the leads on the "Retrosound" range of radios/Bluetooth players are long enough?

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/retrosound-radio-model-2-chrome-230-380.html

No connection or experience with any of these products or traders, just some thoughts which might help.

In crackly old AM days, the Courier Mini Mate was an on-dash, rather than in-dash solution.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1960s-70s-mw-lw-classic-car-489078436

Regards,

Stuart.