Classic Le Mans 2018....... 6/7/8 July 2018

KevinR

Peter Auto have just announced the date for the 2018 Classic Le Mans

Le Mans Classic, 9th edition, will be held on 6, 7 and 8 July 2018 on the Grand Circuit 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Created in 2002 by Peter Auto in association with the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, Le Mans Classic offers a great retrospective of the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours. Praised in its first edition, the event has continued to establish its reputation over the editions to establish itself as a must-expected every two years by thepublic and participants.

Last July, more than 123.000 spectators had found their way in Sarthe to admire nearly 550 race cars on the track and 8.500 vintage cars in general enclosure specially designed to accommodate 180 clubs  representing 60 brands!   At the center of this great automotive festival village entertainment and exhibition visitors immersed in the magic of the story.

Le Mans Classic received the prize for the 2016 Motor Sport Event of the Year awarded at the International Historic Motoring Awards under the patronage of the private bank EFG and Octane magazine.

For 2018, several innovations are scheduled starting with the presence of the Group C field which was a huge success in 2016. In addition, modifications will be made at the circuit to improve the flow of cars and spectators. Several anniversaries will also be celebrated including in particular, the 40th anniversary of  Alpine's victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours as well as the 70th anniversary of the birth of the Porsche 356 and the 50th of the 908!

Other innovations will be announced in the coming months.

CLM2018.jpg

Crikey, an early announcement! Well spotted.

Now I just have to wait for the ferry bookings to open.About October I expect!

I'm on the Peter Auto Press Release mailing list so I get regular emails about the events they organise.

They announced the Le Mans date at the Retromobile show Press preview news conference, just as they did 2 years ago. 

Yes, there are a few options. TSSC took over running the Tetre Rouge campsite from the original "Team Triumph" a few years ago. So you buy a camping pitch (discounted if a TSSC member) and entry tickets to the event.

Also on offer are Hotel rooms (horribly expensive, as a zillion people want them from all over the world) andI believe there may be links to chateau stays etc too?? The disadvantages are much of the trip is involved with being on-site and 24 hours.....

TSSC also offer a variety of ferry bookings. 

Some areas organise a convoy down, Most common is to book site/tix via TSSC and self book ferries and go with a few mates.......

Worth noting campsite pitches sell out fairly fast as it is one of the best sites at Le Mans, entry tix can be bought at the gate.

Other campsites available and will be cheaper, BUT they are very much more open to the public (TSSC site is fenced off and restricted access, others anybody can wander about), and facilities far more restricted (ie the punter to shower/toilet ratio is much much higher)

• 5 months later...

Just had an e-mail to say ferry bookings with Brittany Ferries are now open for next year, booked mine already, best thing is they only want £40 deposit pay rest next year so I will be on usual overnight portsmouth lehavre ferry.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got an email on Thursday with all the details/prices. I assumed all members would have had it, worth giving Angie a call?

Surprised I can't see anything on the website though.

Non-members can book from 25/11,so not as long as normal. Prices up, but there may be an additional sting in the tail as the currency surcharge may kick in what with our Brext plans and all. 5% if/when it drops below 1.10, and another 5% below 1.05, which is fairly likely. Unless interest rates hike upwards. Or we have a miracle (and I don;t mean Boris)

• 5 months later...

I'm hearing from well-known  Triumpheros, who are coming to CLM but not to stay at Tertres Rouge.

I'd like to invite them to meet at the excellent Club bar - what will be the TSSC policy on non-residents there?   Will they be able buy their round, be just guests, or be admitted at all?

John

• 2 months later...

A quick thank you to Bern, Angie et al for all their hard work in the build-up to the event, and their tireless efforts in the heat during the weekend to make it such a success.  Hardly surprising they were dozing off on the ferry back to Portsmouth yesterday evening. 

Dick  

• Like 1

I would just like to add to that and say what a fabulous weekend i had and can,t say enough for the effort the club put in.It was my 6th time but I took a friend who has been having a hard time lately having lost his wife but he,s already working out the details for the next one? Great therapy.

martin

Thank you Dick & rainbow for reminding me of my duty to tell the Club what an excellent organisation they have for CLM.  Duty?  Nay, strong wish!

Well done!

John

PS Except - when I was dehydrated after 18 hours in the pits, and asked for a 'large beer', then another, I didn't read the label - it was the French equivalent of Special Brew, and I felt most peculiar!      My fault though - small tinnies only in future!  J.