Kangaroo petrol ?

Webbo

Well, I put some new ngk plugs in this afternoon and that seemed to sort it , though I do kind of think fuel quality might have played it's part. However my pleasure was short lived as I could hear an ominous rumbling/knocking noise coming from the engine. Oh well, that will get my attention for the next few weeks I suppose.

many thanks for all your input. 

Stu 

• 3 weeks later...

hi ,

well, car back to rough running after a very brief spell ok. after putting in new plugs car seemed to run as it did before the winter, sorted , or so I thought.  No way, so I bought more new fuel and tried running it straight from the can, no change, 

checked the plugs, sooty black !  Cleaned plugs and put the newer  carb back on ,again !!!  It started well and ran ok for a moment but fuel started coming out of the float chamber gasket and then it stopped.

Took off float chamber and pulled a sliver of rubber out of the float valve, (there seemed to be a fair amount of tiny black specs in the float chamber that have managed to evade the in line filter)   put it back together ,started it , made a faint pop and white smoke came billowing out of the air filter, never done that before.

Disconnected the battery, turned garage light out , went indoors . Fed up.

Don't despair Stu, you WILL get sorted, I promise. As you've found, it only takes the tiniest bit of crap in the float valve to cause chaos and it looks like your engine has been flooding. How about leaving the plugs out for a while to let it "vent", dry out? I've seen a few posts here centered around the effect of modern petrol on black hoses and it's maybe this is the root cause of your problems. A daft suggestion, if I get a problem like this, I put down on paper what I've done, what's happened/happening etc, it can help to clarify your thoughts. Keep the posts going as well because sometimes they go down the "list" and don't attract attention. Keep your chin up, you WILL crack it!

HI derekskill,

had a bad day yesterday. Today put some new unleaded fuel hose on , checked the spark at the plugs, seemed ok they gave a reasonable yellow spark, and cleaned the plugs which were badly sooted up again , I don't think the mixture is that rich.  Anyway it started well and ran well for only about 30 seconds and then went back to the lumpy running. I am wondering if the plugs may be the problem, they are a new set.   I am running alden electronic ignition, with ngk bp6es plugs . Do you know if standard plugs are good for electronic ignition ?

cheers , Stu

Ive been fighting a area MkIV misfire ,which runs fine for 3 minutes then really play up, been through everthing and getting rather peeved

its had new plugs , and with senior moments after ripping the car apart , pulled a plug

itsngot a ruddy R in the suffix, something I know all about but the idea escaped the grey stuff

so we had 2 BP6ES bright and white, and 2BPR6ES black and sooty,

our coils wont fire resistive plugs , I know that , but missed the obvious. Its them darn slippers at work

anyway after hair pulling and teeth nashing and feeling a right R's the R's have gone

must try harder

Pete

Thanks for the reply gents.

Think I need to find out why the plugs are getting so sooted up. The carb has been reconed and seems to work as it should and the mixture, I think ,is set about right. When  the engine is running I shut the choke off as soon as I can and leave it to run for a while so it warms right up, but the plugs still soot up.

A couple of times the float chamber has flooded, could this cause the problem ?

stu

Strombegs dont realy suffer from float needle problems but the magic slives of hose can end up jamming the back of the valve

And nothing lasts for ever , the seats do wear out

its worth checking the float height and on later carbs there are two valve arms you can fit the float upsidedown

you will have a thames barrier style choke not an enrichment valve , so providing the air dam is flat with the throat ..its off.

make sure no gaskets are masking the front face ports

make sure the plugs dont have an R in the letters

check the 0 rings on the jet are sound and the top boss sealing washers are fitted

if you femove the top cover check looking downnthe two vacuum holes in the bottom of the air piston are facing the engine then you know the diaphragm is in correctly located

Thanks Pete,

looks like another carb strip down again. Still its quite a therapeutic pastime.

Cheers   Stu

Hi Stu - got the teashirt on this one even made a dedicated spanner, the spanner thickness has been ground down so fits the manifold nuts easier + the obligatory towel underneath to catch the washers -  30 mins to take off , and put back 

Paul 

post-1431-0-45744500-1491484290_thumb.jpg

Pete, if you see this, can you confirm... In one of Stu's posts he says that he is getting a "reasonable yellow" spark at the plugs, shouldn't it be blue-ish, or am I confusing this with the Colourtune spark? I'm wondering if it's a clue. ( I can't stand the thought of anybody losing heart)

Thankyou.

honour and offer sounds a old plan.

a lot can be done with it in situ, ,, understanding the float is best off

buckeye triumphs have some good clues , never mind its aimed at TR , the basics are all the same   

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

as for yellow  that sounds a bit low temperature sparks jumping   is the coil correct and is the condenser working ????

and  Derek  yes Blue on colour tune  is good,         yellow is rich,,            firing   blanks  is weak

Ive always found the ears tell you a similar story even as rough as that sounds better ...!!

pic of double armed float 

FloatChamber2.JPG

Hi

Sorry if Interrupting the thread a bit here. Pete, what are the top boss sealing washers and what happens if there no good?, also if the small jet O rings are Knacked, does this mean it can run rich? please, (assumed it would mean fuel would leak from bottom of jet holders). Asking, as I think got a possible long term issue with setting mixture ok for both city driving and cruising.

Thanks, Dave