Water Pump Housing & Thermostat Housing Gaskets

Paul H

Advice & best practice please 

Just changing Water Pump Housing & Thermostat Housing due to corrosion - The pic shows the corrosion on the thermostat housing , the water pump housing is not as bad but getting too thin in places for my liking -

I have replacement gaskets and whats the best practice , gaskets with or without jointing compound ?

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

post-1431-0-50034500-1490879872_thumb.jpg

make sure the gasket doesnt interfere with the fit of the stat in the recess of the pump hsg,   

if it overlaps theres a good chance you can bend /crack the new cover 

it is designed to have a gasket   if you want to seal it ...fine   dont use something that may blow out of the joint due to the  coolant pressure 

• Like 1

Hello Paul.

That photo brings back memories !!

When I changed my Vitesse cylinder head a couple of years ago I always susupected something was a miss with the thermostat housing. On removing it there was no thermostat and the housing had corroded so badly that it was obvious the PO could not fit a a new thermostat.

So instead of replacing the housing, the PO used the old housing with no thermostat and sealed it with loads of orange / red gunge. A bodge of the 1st order.

No wonder the engine took ages to achieve normal operating temperature.

I replaced the housing and reinstalled the thermostat.

With regard to seating I used a proper thermostat housing gasket and a LIGHT SMEAR of Instant Gasket. I also put a dab of copper grease on the housing threads for future removal should such a situation dictate.

All tightened down and no problems to date  with just over 10K clocked up since the job. Oh yes, I also replaced the water pump as a matter of course whilst doing the head conversion.

Hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Doug.

Yes that's a good call.

If you want clear, which I prefer, I tend to use Granville Instant Gasket. I would also add that Granville products are generally excellent and they do a considerable range for vehicle applications. Based in the UK which is another bonus and very helpful customer services / technical assistance.

It's okay - I do not work for them !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granville-CLEAR-INSTANT-GASKET-Sealant-Quality-RTV-Silicone-Stays-Flexible-40g-/162108864927?hash=item25be70f99f:g:Fp4AAOSwc1FXZUMt

Regards.

Richard.

Red Hermetite is no more.

Misquoting Mark Twain - "the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

I don't know whether production has ceased, but there is still plenty out there:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pipe-thread-sealants/0691814/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hermetite-Red-Semi-Hardening-Gasket-Compound-125ml-/112347681259

and others

That said, it probably wouldn't be my choice these days.

C.

Better than silicone sealer - bathroom quality - that a local Banbridge garage was using on engine repairs some years ago; I was sent out to investigate a large number of blown engine claims and found mechanics putting the stuff on so thickly it was blocking oilways, hence the failures.

• Like 1