Clutch Master Cylinder - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Stripped down the clutch master cylinder and found evidence of brake fluid on the bulk head but no damage to the paint - so assume the previous owner used synthetic fluid - Colour as a clear  blue . The Brake master cylinder has Dot4 fluid 

The master cylinder interior had a grey paste buildup . Cleaned up the cylinder and the bore has circular marks at the base and at the top where the rubber seals are so assuming its ready for change - Its has Girling 5/8 marked so guess this must be original equipment . Am I correct in that the cylinder is ready for change ?

I see on Fleabay there are plenty to choose from - are there any recommendations or names to steer clear of 

Paul 

post-1431-0-89272700-1492351774_thumb.jpg

Good old triumph ws again does not give the diameters

there are two cyls used across the range

5/8" and 0.7"

The brake used the 0.7 dia when the bigger calipers were used on vitesse and gt6 with type 16s

landrover do a 0.75 very cheap which many use on brakes , but not good on small calipers and a 5/8 master as would increase pedal loads a good %

on a clutch it would over stroke the slave

so beware of supposed cyls listed as a upgrade, when it means ....bigger

pete

Previous owner a PITA if they used different fluids for brakes and clutch. I would change one fluid so that both use the same....

Anyway, the master "may" be OK with a bit of a hone out and re-seal. Worth doing the slave at the same time or a fair chance it will fail soon.

No idea on what is quality these days. Seems to vary depending on what boat they came in on. At one point Willwoods were failing quickly, but that may well have changed. Genuine old stock, fitted with new seals, would be my choice if I could find one. Otherwise I would ask one of the respected suppliers (canleys, paddocks, witor etc)

Previous owner a PITA if they used different fluids for brakes and clutch. I would change one fluid so that both use the same....

Anyway, the master "may" be OK with a bit of a hone out and re-seal. Worth doing the slave at the same time or a fair chance it will fail soon.

No idea on what is quality these days. Seems to vary depending on what boat they came in on. At one point Willwoods were failing quickly, but that may well have changed. Genuine old stock, fitted with new seals, would be my choice if I could find one. Otherwise I would ask one of the respected suppliers (canleys, paddocks, witor etc)

Already got a NOS Girling slave to install, purchased this at Stoneleigh . Thanks for help

Good old triumph ws again does not give the diameters

there are two cyls used across the range

5/8" and 0.7"

The brake used the 0.7 dia when the bigger calipers were used on vitesse and gt6 with type 16s

landrover do a 0.75 very cheap which many use on brakes , but not good on small calipers and a 5/8 master as would increase pedal loads a good %

on a clutch it would over stroke the slave

so beware of supposed cyls listed as a upgrade, when it means ....bigger

pete

Hi Pete , found this NOS http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/232282934286? It's .625 which is 5/8 . Is this a correct replacement ?

Paul

Paul.

The correct M/C should be angled as that ensures you get the correct amount of fluid in the reservoir. Many that are sold are not, as Pete says they are fine if you do not overfill, - however in reality that is not fine because in essence it's the wrong M/C.

By the M/C not being angled you can expect the fluid reduction to be about 25% and for a smallish M/C that's a significant amount.

There's a chap I buy my hydraulic stuff from and his stuff is spot-on. When in the garage tomorrow I will get the details - he is a regular seller at the big shows.

Regards.

Richard.

On the old forum we had a chart with sizes and intro dates but no idea who or where it came from

on myVit6 we used a mcly from merlin motor sports and a bolt on plastic reservoir as another way , the res is much larger and semi clear so you can see levels easy. And with more capacity the angle doesnt matter
Carbuilders do similar options

just need to swap the pushrods

pete

post-14-0-85191300-1492418289_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-81257700-1492418440_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Paul.

David Kingerley "Classic Car Spares" in Breaston Derby on 07977.914.088 / 01332.873.685 is the chap I mentioned.

In addition would be worth giving "Coasting Ltd" a call on 07973.710.473 he also does re-sleeving and honing along with hydraulic units.

Those contact details should be up to date, any problems drop me a note and I can furnish some more.

There are a couple of other companies I have used, but hopefully the above should be able to assist.

DK was at Stoneleigh, and as I said he does all shows of decent size and will certainly be at Beaulieu next month.

Good luck.

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

David Kingerley "Classic Car Spares" in Breaston Derby on 07977.914.088 / 01332.873.685 is the chap I mentioned.

In addition would be worth giving "Coasting Ltd" a call on 07973.710.473 he also does re-sleeving and honing along with hydraulic units.

Those contact details should be up to date, any problems drop me a note and I can furnish some more.

There are a couple of other companies I have used, but hopefully the above should be able to assist.

DK was at Stoneleigh, and as I said he does all shows of decent size and will certainly be at Beaulieu next month.

Good luck.

Regards.

Richard.

Checked on tinternet and both suppliers details are correct - I will be making contact 

Regards

Paul 

Can I ask a silly question why not just buy by a new master and or a slave cylinder from one of the reputable spares places such as TD Fitchets or Canley or David manners. After all if we don't use these places they will go the way of the high street banks then what will we do.

Just a thought

Andrew

pete

I think i have one of those on my Herald 13/60 and it takes a lot more leg to brake,i am going to change it back.

Steve

Paul.

Good luck.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - contacted David and NOS angled Girling clutch MC purchased and in the post - Good prices too - David knows his stuff and will be using his services again - His contact details are here 

Thanks again - appreciated 

Paul 

Nb also made contact with Tom @ Coating Ltd - He had an accident which means he is not taking on work though asked me to send my old MC to see if it can be honed which would be a " quick job " , if it needs a sleeve he doesnt want to do it . Plus he has NOS but not sure of his stock but is checking - I will be posting off the old MC to see what Tom says about it . Ill keep you posted as to progress 

Hello Paul.

Excellent news, good to hear and you are welcome.

David is a top bloke and as you say very knowledgeable. Yes he runs a business but he has not allowed that to overtake his genuine interest in helping classic vehicle enthusiasts as and when he can. His NOS is vast with all the manufacturers names you want to hear !!

That's bad news for Tom, hopefully it's only a minor set-back. He has the same positive outlook and views as David, so again another pair of safe hands to deal with.

I will be interested to hear how your returned MC progresses.

Good luck.

Richard.