Vitesse MK2 Transverse Spring Issue

Currently reassembling back end - one Drive Shaft side is fine spring is attached - problem is the other side as the spring is in the way - see pics When removing the spring I added longer diff bolts and took out the tension I thought I could do this in reverse but not possible - Somehow I have to straighten the spring to allow the rear assembly to go back - Currently the spring is not attached to the diff 

Any assistance appreciated 

Paul 

post-1431-0-06260400-1495550909_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-68897800-1495550909_thumb.jpg

It's Rotoflex, so you need a spring lifter and lots of courage - details in the Worksop Manual.

Be very careful, one can get seriously injured if it goes wrong, there can be a lot of stored energy involved.

My preferred method is to get the vertical link in at the top, attached to the spring, and then connect the lower wishbone to the chassis bracket using a ratchet strap to pull it all together, whilst the spring lifter straightens the spring.

If you cant borrow one, or make one, the Club Shop sells copies of the original factory defined tool - https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/rear-spring-lifter

• Like 1

Hello Paul.

Not sure if I have fully understood this, but

I think you will need to secure the spring to the diff first and then reassemble the rear end. Without doing that, you are going to struggle lifting each end of the spring to allow the d/shafts + other bits to positioned - which I think you are already finding out.

Regards.

Richard. 

As Kevin has indicated, you will need a spring lifter to do the job safely.

The attached photo shows the necessity of such and I'm just dismantling, you have a far harder task !!

Just out of the picture the lifter is resting on an axle stand.

Regards.

Richard.

post-818-0-57383700-1495552892_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

Once the "energy" has been taken out of the leaf spring, I presume it is okay to lower the spring lifter, disengage it and let the spring just hang without further support ??

I hope so, as I need to dismantle the other side of the car !!

Regards.

Richard.

Hi all many thanks for info todate - So I need to attach the spring to the diff , purchase a spring lifter . The Spring lifter "jacks " up the spring so I can add the remaining drive  - Is this the correct procedure ?

Regards 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

Unless anyone says otherwise, I would:

1.  secure the leaf spring to the diff and fully secure.

2. bolt the lifter to the spring (see my earlier photo)

3. place a jack (and probably a block of wood) under the lifter and then jack the lifter up until you have it at the required level.

4. then place an axle stand to support the lifter while you carry out the work. 

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Unless anyone says otherwise, I would:

1.  secure the leaf spring to the diff and fully secure.

2. bolt the lifter to the spring (see my earlier photo)

3. place a jack (and probably a block of wood) under the lifter and then jack the lifter up until you have it at the required level.

4. then place an axle stand to support the lifter while you carry out the work. 

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - the spring lifter you are using is not the same as the one in TSSC shop https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/rear-spring-lifter  Do they do the same job ????? I see the logic of your approach, where did you buy your spring lifter ? Im struggling to see how the TSSC Spring Lifter does the same job 

Thanks 

Paul 

Hi Richard - the spring lifter you are using is not the same as the one in TSSC shop https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/rear-spring-lifter  Do they do the same job ????? I see the logic of your approach, where did you buy your spring lifter ? Im struggling to see how the TSSC Spring Lifter does the same job 

Thanks 

Paul 

Hi Richard - the mist has cleared !!! on closer inspection I see the spring lifter as offered by TSSC is the same design as yours - So will make a call tomorrow and order one 

Thanks for info and advice 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

That's good news.

I was very fortunate, a fellow TSSC member at the area monthly meeting (thanks Ian) owns one of these, so I was able to borrow that. 

Just proves the benefit of Area Meetings for all those interested in Triumphs - plus the pub does great food & beer !!

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

If you fancy making one of these lifters, the design can be found in the ST WSM and also the Haynes manual.

Should you not have access to that and fancy making one, let me know and I can send the relevant information.

Regards.

Richard.

I made one from a length of scaffold pole and 2 lengths of steel, 3mm thick and 40mm wide (what I had available, similar will do.

I bent teh steel over the top of the scaffold pole and made an inverted U shape. A couple of small welds finished each one off, and a diff stud with nut for each end completed it.

I have never understood why the straps do not go over the top of the lifting bar, it just seems a much safer way of doing it!

• Like 1

It's Rotoflex, so you need a spring lifter and lots of courage - details in the Worksop Manual.

Be very careful, one can get seriously injured if it goes wrong, there can be a lot of stored energy involved.

My preferred method is to get the vertical link in at the top, attached to the spring, and then connect the lower wishbone to the chassis bracket using a ratchet strap to pull it all together, whilst the spring lifter straightens the spring.

If you cant borrow one, or make one, the Club Shop sells copies of the original factory defined tool - https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/rear-spring-lifter

Thanks Kevin, appreciate the advice

Regards

Paul

Top result !!

Bury St. Edmunds to Herts / Beds - that's dedication or desperation, not sure which :D !!

Well done Pete & Paul.

Regards.

Richard.

Top result !!

Bury St. Edmunds to Herts / Beds - that's dedication or desperation, not sure which :D !!

Well done Pete & Paul.

Regards.

Richard.

Desperation  :lol:  - The Club didnt have any in stock and im under a time constraint so Pete came to the rescue

Regards

Paul 

Courtesy of Hert & Beds & Pete Lewis  I have a spring lifter on loan - having issues getting the vertical link to get in line with the spring eye bolt -  the lower wish bone  isnt connected to the chassis link - Ive tried G clamps to no avail - One thought is that the new doughnut ( Rotoflex ) still has the steel band - By removing it will this reduce the length of the drive shaft ? - If correct this would make lining up easier . The pic shows the issue

Do I remove the Rotoflex band ??

Any help or suggestions welcomed 

REgards

Paul 

post-1431-0-20855600-1495707594_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of Hert & Beds & Pete Lewis  I have a spring lifter on loan - having issues getting the vertical link to get in line with the spring eye bolt -  the lower wish bone  isnt connected to the chassis link - Ive tried G clamps to no avail - One thought is that the new doughnut ( Rotoflex ) still has the steel band - By removing it will this reduce the length of the drive shaft ? - If correct this would make lining up easier . The pic shows the issue

Do I remove the Rotoflex band ??

Any help or suggestions welcomed 

REgards

Paul 

Just spoke with David @Canleys - Best to keep the bands intact and its brute force needed to line them up - back to the drawing board 

Regards

Paul 

When replacing the spring on my Rotoflex Vitesse I ground a point onto an old spring eye bolt and with judicous levering with an old screwdriver through the Vertical Link bolt hole managed to line things up roughly, then hammered the pointed bolt through.

Then Drift the new bolt through from the other side with plenty of copper slip on it.

I've heard of people using ratchet straps and also levering with a length of Angle iron bolted to two of the wheel studs to get the Spring Eye and vertical link to line up.

Another pair of hands is always helpful when working on the Rotoflex type suspension?

You can see why a lot of people convert to CV Joints, far easier to assemble then :P .  

• Like 1

Update - completed the reassembly of Rotoflex driveshafts and spring - The first side was a learning curve so wont say how long it took , the second side took a couple of hrs to get the bolt through the vertical link and spring eye -  key factors apart from patience lots of tea and a spring lifter ( thanks again Pete Lewis - Herts & Beds )  were adding a point to the bolt , lots of copper grease ,silicon spray for the poly joint and the main item http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/98713.jpg This was cut down to 6 1/2 inches, you cant complete the job without this aligning bar

I have have taken stage photos and will be adding a PDF writeup later to assist anybody willing to take on the job on their own 

I couldnt have completed this task without the help of this forum so many thanks again for all the help and advice 

Regards

Paul 

The Toolstation link for the aligning bar is here