clutch problem

bengaku

Ok thats clear ,

You have a clutch which does not pass any drive to the gearbox, maybe just a hint to give the drive line a a slight nudge

this is down to the clutch slipping and can be a variety of ideas

the disc is worn out completely

the slave cylinder is siezed and holding the clutch disengaged

the withdrawl lever has a problem

the clutch disc hub has fractured

Simple test

If you remove the slave from the gearbox , remove Coil HT so it wont start, put in gear and crank

does it now attempt to move. ?...problem is hydraulics

If the problem remains then its time to remove the gearbox and check the clutch and its bearing and levers

Quick question the slave cylinder when you push on the small rubber piston inside of it should it spring back up the reason i ask is mine kinda of stays down unless you tap the bottom then it pops back up .I had thought it might not pop back unless it had the pressure from the hydraulic fluid. Just on the off chance that this is a the problem then i can order up a new one .thanks for looking regards Paul

there should be a soft spring inside to keep the piston in contact with the pushrod when foot is off  

there should be no real load between push rod and piston  just the light action of the inside spring, , was there any force trying to push the slave off when you removed it ?

if you pump the pedal the piston should travel (takes a few pumps) to the end of its travel, you should then be able to prod it back inside and push the piston back to the rear end of the cylinder , the fluid returning to the reservoir.

and to add with the slave out of the housing does it get any drive ???  as said remove ht lead and crank it up in gear does she move ???

if it does then your problem is with the slave 

Pete

Ok well i took off slave cylinder removed HT lead put car in first gear and it jump forward like you said it might so thanks for the advice Pete so if i order up a new slave cylinder that hopefully will solve the problem. ?

Just to follow on , hydraulics suffer wear and corrosion, itsnworth looking at the master cylinder

atbthe same time , you press the pedal the fluid transmitts the pressure to the slave and that operates the mechanism inside the cltuch housing

when you take your foot off the clutch should push the slave back and return the fluid to the reservoir

in the master cyl is a small seal on the end of the seal assy that coveres the reservoir port when you first press the pedal if this is deformed or degraded it can stop the fluid return and the slave stays put

holds the clutch disengaged and pressure buils up in the system

so strip the master out and fit a kit while your in bits

• Like 1

Update have changed over slave cylinder and stripped and new seals on master cylinder bled the system and its still not going into drive. Cant understand why it will still go to move forward if i start car in gear so it must be hydraulics right ?

Ifnthe pin is missing you pump the slave to its extent and then the pedal goes hard

once again pop the slave off , if it drives something in the actuation is giving you grief did the new slave fit easy or did you have to force it in place .?

Look down on drivers side of the clutch housing, near to where the front of the gearbox is visible

often covered in old oil and road dirt within the casting webs is a vertical drilled hole

if you poke around you will find it , if a probe goes in a few mm its fine if it goes right in the pin is adrift

or missing

yes sounds about right ,,  just making sure when you fitted the slave in it wasnt  applying load to disengage the clutch

so if you release the  the slave  clamp  does it come back to having 'drive'     same as when you removed the old one ??

this is all a bit odd  

you found that hole yet  ??

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-herald-13/60-gearbox

look down below where bush 26 is hovering 

Pete

So i think I have found the vertical hole screw driver only goes in a couple of mm so pin is in situ. So pin is ok slave cylinder has been change for a new one master cylinder has been stripped cleaned and new seals so where do i look next

The situation is the same car will go into gear move ever so slighty then nothing i have a firm pedal just as in my every day car but i can lift foot off clutch pedal and car wont stall out so if i need to take off slave cylinder and try again i will but what will that tell me ?

Well I thought last time you said it moved when you took the slave off.???

I think its time you removed the gearbox now and see that the clutch is operational or worn out or the disc may be fractured ,

at risk of repeating dont think you ever checked if the propshaft is rotating /turning when in gear and idleing when you try to drive and it wont move

pete

It did lurch forward with slave off. if i have to now remove gearbox then im afraid i am way out of my depth and will need to get car to a qualified mechanic as i dont have the knowledge or equipment to take on the gearbox

If the prop only gives a short nudge that eliminates lost drive due to any diff short shaft failure

the idea its given some degree of attempted drive with the slave off would appear to be non conclusive

this leaves the clutch has some catastrophic failure and after trying all other possible actions I feel the box has to come off

its not a bad diy job given a few sockets and spanners , apart from support the engine sump on a jack and about 3 bolts underside all is done from inside the car, or under the bonnet getting the tunnel out is at times a fiddle

I would remove the seats to gain space

It's a straight forward job, I've done it a couple of times on the GT6. The only supposedly tricky bit is centralizing the new clutch. There is a special tool but I've never used it, a big screwdriver rotated in the hole does the trick. Also you have to drop the prop shaft so it's worth marking both flanges so you can put it back as was.

One time, in a supermarket car park, I got stuck in gear. So took the tunnel and the top of the gearbox off and persuaded first gear to let go. Got a push start and drove home in second gear. All done without removing the seats.

I put loot onit that the plate  es parted frae the linings

does it mek a rattling sound,!!

like this, ive had a few of em

done by dropping the clutch wid stikkeee tyres !!!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=broken+clutch+plate&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI2P2x98rVAhXLJ8AKHUSzAlAQsAQIJw&biw=1368&bih=807&dpr=1.25#imgrc=9pC7sVEBelxnfM:

M