Engine plates

Gadgetman

paint acts as a lubricate , its not good on hard facings if it degrades through any shuffing you loose torque on the fixings

,,, but many do give it all a light spray  ,,if you  just cant resist !!!

less of a problem on engine plates but certainly bad practice on hubs drums and discs., and uj couplings etc must be kept clean

and bare metal

Pete

originally both fully painted. I decided to only paint the exposed parts of the front plate as internally it will be coated in oil and I don't trust the new paint to not fall off into the oil. The rear plate is not subject to oil (assuming all gaskets and seals work) so maybe should be fully painted, though with the Triumph rust protection system it will prob be coated in oil

"originally both fully painted"     How many engines, Dan?

All that I have dismatled/rebuils have had paint on the outside, where not covered by other parst.

The engines were painted once built, not before assembly, for the reason Pete gave and to save paint!

I suffer as you do from disabling rebuilder's obsession syndrome - while it's out, clean it, polish it, give it a coat of paint! - but we'll fight it together!

John

Good question. I'm at this stage as well and have been asking myself what would be best to do as what came off after 40+ years is highly unlikely to be original. Mine generally have a light coat of black (although not very good now). My gut feel is the rear plate should be subject to minimal oil so a light coat (full coat in exposed areas) whilst the front plate is sandwiched between oily areas so paint after assembly of timing cover. 

Adrian

• 6 months later...

Pretty common in the day would be a black enamel dip tank and a oven bake.

Parts that need to grip when assembled would not have painted faces,

that may well be engine plates where a non paint lubricated shuffle is Desired

Thats why steering props brakes etc are always bare metal  

Pete

On 22/07/2017 at 8:47 AM, Colin Lindsay said:

Incidentally I was looking at this photo of a rebuilt engine recently.... anyone know what the paint is to get that lovely matt factory-looking finish? Everyone seems to sell gloss....

I got a finish similar to this with Tetrosyl/Carplan matt black engine lacquer. Paid £10 for a small tin from a small auto factors though! Link to it here.

Pretty pleased with the result, although for some inexplicable reason I painted the sump and back plate with a different paint.

P1000330.thumb.JPG.1bad79e19ebf2b2366e802d12561c104.JPG

I've come close to it on a gearbox with VinylKote Direct-to-Rust Primer and VinylKote Black Topcoat; the other engine enamels such as Frost are too shiny and seem to fade much too quickly. I liked the ceramic look of that engine, it's close to an old paint called PJ1 Fastblack that I used on engine manifolds and exhausts many years ago.

Wonder if you can still get it?

DSCF5038.thumb.jpg.6833737da1a3c25ca42df4f7e1b3dd1a.jpg

Don't use Hammerite paints they crack and are not oil resistant. I have to say I do give the whole plate a light coat (after spraying the area outside the contact area) as to my thinking it is going to move less than the paper gasket and give some protection at the edge.

Colin.

I think your first photo (engine) looks very close to stove enamel paint, now used on a regular basis for refurbishing wood stoves and the like - also has the benefit of having high heat capability.

The paint gives that dull matt finish which seems to fit with the photo.

Regards.

Richard.

It's possible, stove or exhaust paint always seems to have a nice flat matt finish. My last Herald engine started out like David's in the photo but ended up very dusty, dirty and faded after next to no time - this was either Halfords or Frosts Engine enamel in black gloss.

The stuff I mentioned, the PJ1 Fastblack, claims to be 'porcelain hard' and certainly works on manifolds; I may give the engine a blast.

No idea Richard, I go with what looks nice (to me!!) rather than what's original. (Orange rocker cover?? Whose idea was that? :) )

I'm just want an easy-maintenance finish, and gloss seems too much hard work, from bitter experience...

Incidentally - what's the opinion on painting core plugs? Paint, or leave? Have seen both so am undecided...

I'm all for that Colin.

I reckon as long as they [core plugs] are fitted properly and doing the job, treat them to a lick of paint - cannot see any harm in it; either operationally or cosmetically. Just my opinion.

Regards.

Richard.