Priming oil pump

Adrian

I've read that packing the oil pump with Vaseline is the method to ensure suction is achieved. If correct is that all of the voids packed in the main pump housing? Can it be primed with oil via the distributor housing?

I don't have an oil pressure gauge and will probably be a few weeks before the engine is put back in the car.

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers Adrian

I have filled (hopefully!) pumps by filling from the oil pressure switch hole. In reality it doesn't need loads, just enough to stop the pump being dry and taking up the small clearances.

I then use a drill/driver on low gear in reverse to spin the oil pump via the distributor housing. Needs a "special" too. In my case a flat blade screwdriver with the handle chopped off. That will get oil circulating the engine nicely.

Surely not a screwdriver, Clive?   The top of the pump drive shaft engages with a slot in the bottom of the drive cog shaft.  In other words the screwdriver is on the pump!

A rod or substantial tube with a slot cut in the end is better.

John

Hmm, you could be right. Definitely stumbled across a chopped off screwdriver the other day, and that was the only thing I could think of. Maybe it had another use...

Whatever, I have used a drill and "tool" to spin the pump! which does work a treat.

(also worth pump the fuel right through, easy of you have a priming lever on the pump. Otherwise fill the float chambers?

I wonder what the engine assy did in the days of production at Triumph???

probably .... nothing

Dont know about triumph but from my Rootes experience it was common practice to run engines back to back and used town gas not petrol

if you got a back fire it would flatten the brass carb floats so when fueled on the assy line the first start up was ......much flooding

It is such a faff, esp. if you have Pi, to remove the dizzy, and drive cog to spin the oil pump.   And while you fit it all back again, oil is draining back into the sump.

Me, I trust my assembly lube (Graphogen on bearings, Lucas cam lube and engine oil in the piston rings)  leave out the plugs (clive), no ignition (F&F) and of course, don't run the fuel pump, and spin the engine until I see pressure.

A little time with a sheet of plate glass 'blue printing' the pump before its fitted, pays off.

But if you want to, yes, Vaseline - it dissolves in  oil when grease doesn't.   Just don't react when the chemist raises their eyebrows at your request for "two BIG tubs of vaseline, please"!

John