Pivot plates and bonnet fitting

ChrisTasmania

I know this must have been covered before, but I have searched high and low and all I can find is the same question and no answers.. and there does not seem to be an illustration at all. I have no car elsewhere to look at around here, and the bonnet was off when I got my Vitesse Mk2 2 litre.. So what is the sequence of assembly of the front bonnet hinge?

I assume the pivot plates are outside the bracket with the slotted hole to the top? Then the bush is in between the slotted holes? and the sleeve-screw-rod thing attaches somewhere? where!?

There also must be washers to allow the whole assembly to rotate?

Any help would be appreciated, and a picture or drawing?

Also, does there exist a drawing of the Vitesse body with dimensions? ie distance between fin tips/ b posts etc.?

The weld-a-thon is nearly finished (so rusty... and it had been in dry storage for 25 years.), reassembly is just starting

Cheers

Chris

These drop links have been the source of many debates

The workshop manual shows them  slot down  the parts list showsnthem slot up

It makes sense the slot is up and the bonnet pivots on the hole at the bottom  you cant have a pivot on a slotted hole 

Some make longer links to aid height adjustment,

The tie rod goes to the lower  pivot and pulls  the links  back and forth as you adjust the turnbuckle nuts.

The slots are clamped solid in the chassis bracket  , 

Mine had no crussh tubes in the pivot boss , so had to be loose enough to allow it's pivot  not feasable on a slot as this cannot maintain its heght setting.

Sorry no pictures

Pete

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hinge and Bracket were more operatic, Gilbert and Sullivan stuff, I saw them live once, very funny, very rude. Sadly Bracket died in 2002, but Hinge survives and runs a B & B in France. It's on Wikipedia, so it must be true. Pete and I are thinking of starting a tribute act. :lol: