Volt meter

Paul H

Just purchased a Smiths Voltmeter from EBay , condition unknown, and the price paid reflected this . When connected does the meter climb like the petrol gauge or is it an instant read .  initially just checked using 12 volt battery and voltage climbs slowly 

Thanks in advance

Paul 

If it reads correctly then it should be fine, mine climbs slowly and is then stable with either just the ignition  lights on or the engine running..

Check its accuracy with a multi-meter to  also measure the voltage on the battery

Aidan

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats more a week /year code   not the model code , anything stamped in  ??

Hi Pete , you were correct under the paper sticker it says Smiths etc but no codes / model number etc - here are the pics . Plan to dismantle and clean so should be able to show more internal pics 

UPDATE - just taken off the glass and there is a mark BV2213/00 - does this help ?

Paul 

voltmeter1.jpg

voltmeter2.jpg

Paul.

Is that not from a Spitfire / Dolomite or similar Triumph with that type of instrumentation ??

All the classic volt meters I have owned and used, have a slow moving needle until settled. As Aidan says, worth checking with a multimeter.

The attached shows a better period volt meter for your 69 Vitesse IMHO http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMITHS-CLASSIC-CAR-BATTERY-VOLTMETER-GAUGE-52mm-Chrome-Rimmed-VGC-/263249586979?hash=item3d4ae5eb23:g:ruoAAOSwrRlZl1MM 

Regards.

Richard.

1 minute ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, I like Richard's one however, call me a suspicious old git, but the ad doesn't actually say TESTED or WORKING. :lol:  I'd spend £4 more and get an identical new one from the club shop.

Agree price is way too high - I paid £7.60 for mine from Ebay - condition unknown 

Paul 

Hello Doug.

I fully agree and would not touch it either; as such it was flagged purely for reference purposes only.

Makes me smile when sellers put on auxiliary lamps and say untested !! How difficult is it to check that out or even better, selling sealed beam units without checking ?? 

Guess someone must be buying them :wacko:

Regards.

Richard.

having fought a spitfire dash to the looney home finding nuts on clamp not knurled thumb wheels i searched all the usual for clamp bars and knurled nutty things,  not easy to find  but .....................

found  this https://www.angloparts.com/en/catalogues/group/4197/tools-jaeger-smith-instrument-service-and-parts

but look at the prices     whooo  !!!   for nuts or a full spreader clamp    yikes  ....

Pete

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Electric thingies?? Wouldn't touch them. It's natural wood and acoustic resonance for me, like a Herald dashboard with strings...

Song, Pete??

"If I had a decent wage, I'd soon afford a gauge, but as I'm in the poor camp, I can't even afford a clamp.... awaaaaahhhhhhh"

Good electric thingies also have natural wood and acoustic resonance.

Awaaaaaahhhhhhh! I think comes from that strange TV ad "I know I did not capture it, awaaaaaahhhh!"  An odd song but an ear worm, once heard you can't shake it off.

Not a fan of B flat, prefer open chords.

Did I tell you I used a bottom E string to dig out the crud in my water jacket drain plug? Strong, bendy and abrasive.