Slightly noisy tappets

Adrian

Hi all, as some of you know I got the engine started and was pleased at the overall initial running. I’ve adjusted the tappets but am still getting a little noise. Could there be anything else causing it, a blocked oil feed or something that may starve it. When up to temperature it seems a little louder (when I say louder it is only v slight and nothing like a bag of bolts being rattled). Only leaks so far was coolant and a quick nip up seems to have sorted that.

cheers Adrian

Adrian,

It may be that the rockers have worn and the flat feeler gauge is not giving a correct reading, I have heard of round wire gauges which would give a truer reading, but I haven't encountered any! Have you tried the Pete Lewis patented method? Take the rocker cover off and start the engine. Then stick your feeler gauge in one by one till you identify the culprit, then nip it up a bit.

Doug

Not done that one yet. Pete did it during the first twiddle day. Before trying that I assume oil wouldn’t be spraying everywhere, I remember pete putting a rag on one end not sure if it was to stop oil or just convenient for wiping the gauge

Adrian,

I've run the engine without the rocker cover and there's not a lot of oil about at tick over, but I'm a mucky bugger and would I notice? Probably not. I was at twiddle day one, we must have met. 

Doug

Mine are slightly noisy - but the gaps with the Newman Cam are a couple of thou wider than standard so some reason. Must get a plate made up with the specs on for future reference..

Anyway, I would love to find a set of wire feelers as I stupidly didn't look at the rockers when they were last off to see if they are flat - though I'm sure I would have noticed if they were bad. I hope!

Doesn't that make the fag taste funny? Or is that the authentic Triumph smoke. 

Old Wally in the drawing office smoked Navy Shag tobacco in a monster pipe. The tobacco came in little round tins, he used to pour a shot of rum into each one and leave it to mature.

Doug

Pete,

Watch out for the seagulls, the buggers will snatch the fish & chips right out of your hands. There's a chippy on the South coast arming their punters with heavy duty water pistols. But I expect you've got a can of WD40 on your person, should do just as well.

Doug

10 hours ago, Spitfire6 said:

Why don't you use a ClikAdjust, AKA a SPQR adjuster to set clearance? 

I have just reinvested in same, so would recommend one.

Did you actually get yours to work?  I've just tried one too and couldn't get anywhere with it.

1. Get #8 on the rock and loosen lock nut on #1.
  2. Put 0.010 feeler in and turn big knob till a loud click.
  3. Turn big knob other way say 10 clicks and find you now have a (for example) 0.025 gap, so X clicks = 0.015 (0.025 - 0.010).
  4. 0.010 feeler back in and turn big knob back the first way till loud click.
  5. Turn the second way again the same 10 clicks and find you now have a (for example) 0.030 gap...

The main thing that I think was wrong for me was that when tightening down to the big click you could see the gap initially close down on the 0.010 feeler...but then rather than a big click you could see the valve spring start to compress - and only after an amount of valve spring compression you would get the big click.  Clearly if the spring is compressing at all you're getting more turns than just 'taking up the slack' and are likely to get slightly different amounts of spring compression each time you try.

Is that what you found?

Some of my rocker pads are worn on Vitesse. I worked out using feeler, that 10 thou " related to about 60 degrees of adjustment turn on screw (another member calculated by the thread pitch, it should be 90 degrees/quarter of a turn, though this worked out too big a gap for me).

So I closed up the gap finger tight and backed off 60 degrees (or 10 minutes of a clock face, say) turn of screw.

Tappets quieter, though still some noise when accelerating until engine gets hot. Fairly quite at idle (could this be rocker/shaft wear, if more noisy on the go?), which is why I found it hard to use the feeler whilst engine running technique.

Not sure if this way is ok really, though should work in theory?.

Cheers, Dave

Hi,

Just did a calculation;

If the adjustment thread is 5/16" UNF, 1/2" UNF it is 24 tpi.

1" / 24 is 0.0417" a turn. 

Therefor 87 degrees of turn should be around 10 thou/mils.

I see Dave has already said the same above.. It was fun calculating.

8 hours ago, Mjit said:

...but then rather than a big click you could see the valve spring start to compress - and only after an amount of valve spring compression you would get the big click.  Clearly if the spring is compressing at all you're getting more turns than just 'taking up the slack' and are likely to get slightly different amounts of spring compression each time you try.

Is that what you found?

Hi Mjit, If the tool compresses my springs; it will be going back to the seller as, as you say it will not work as intended.

I had purchased the original SPQR adjuster in the early 80's for my Datsun Sunny (B310) and from memory it worked fine. When i set it manually, it sounded like an MG.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Thanks 1