Wipers failed

Blitz

Morning all. On my rainy trip back yesterday my wipers stopped working. I would get a few wipes then they both stoped. Turning them off and on again gave me a few more until eventually this had no affect and they stopped mid wipe. Iv not looked at them yet but the arms are solid in their positions so I assume the linkage is still connected or possibly Jamed. However I suspect the motor has gone ? I'm going to get a multimeter and check for power to the motor first. Obviously those who know me know a know nothing John Snow so all advise welcome please on this subject. 

Thanks

Grant 

Grant,

I'd check the fuse box first for a poor connection, the prongs that "grip" the fuses are notoriously poor. Take the fuse out pinch the prongs together, re-insert fuse. It's the top fuse on mine, don't know what it is on yours, but there aren't many of them.   I have a modern blade fuse box sitting on my bench waiting for installation. 

Doug

Yep Pete not the usual model which left me  buggered for starters. Iv got 12v supply to the motor and at the top red wire too. First off what does this single red wire do ? Underneath is a copper contact which rotates round a flat circular disc. However the motor will run without this connected. With encuragment I can get the wipers working but they are very slow and stop as if not enough power. How do I know if it's the motor or mechanism that's gone. A few pics. 

Whilst messing iv blown the fuse I think. It's under the dash on the passenger side ? I couldn't find it. It's not on the bulk head like later models. 

Grant 

19 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Is that last pic supposed to be like that or a full circle. Ie has it disinterested? ?

It's supposed to be like that, because...

23 minutes ago, Blitz said:

First off what does this single red wire do ? Underneath is a copper contact which rotates round a flat circular disc.

The red wire connects the -ve side of the motor (which is the switched side) to the not-a-full-circle thing. The rotating copper contact is connected to ground through the shaft. This is the self-parking mechanism - when the wipers are parked, the grounded copper contact is in the missing bit of the circle. When they're not, it connects the red wire to ground, thus energising the motor until it does park.

By the way, some comments on the motor being "a modern one" or "not the usual model". The car appears to be a round-tail Spitfire. The wiper motor appears to be a Lucas DR3A. This is exactly the expected combination. Or am I missing something?

The spit4 should have a different motor and mechanisms but not sure of model number. This is a two speed model but only one of the wires if live on my car due to the original switch been used. 

Can some one tell me the model number I have fitted please if I need a replacement. 

Are you sure? The one shown does not look like a 2-speed. The 2-speed on the Mk4 / GT6 Mk3 has a round body. That one looks like a Mk3 single-speed type. The Canleys site seems to show the same wiper motor for all round-tail Spitfires, and Herald/Vitesse.

I’m guessing two speeds as it has two wires from the loom fitted to the motor. One is live but I guess the other could be a neutral wire and I’m prob i bumb ass. I’m sure thinking about it it’s the latter doh. 

2 hours ago, Blitz said:

I’m guessing two speeds as it has two wires from the loom fitted to the motor. One is live but I guess the other could be a neutral wire and I’m prob i bumb ass. I’m sure thinking about it it’s the latter doh.

The standard, single speed, wiper motor for an early Spitfire has three terminals connected to the loom. One of these is a fairly obvious ground wire - it's a terminal on the case and the wire is black. The other two wires are a live feed (green, from the ignition-switched-fused circuit) and the connection to the low-side switch. Here's a photo of mine.Installed.jpg.d03cfec11eba3e01aaec5e81bede60e9.jpg

Quick update. The mechanism looked fine so I opted to swap the motor. Visited Spitfire Graveyard which is local to me and picked up a second hand full unit for £30. Just fitted it today and everything is working fine. Wiper speed also a bit faster now. 

Thanks

Grant 

• Like 1