Vacuum unit wiring?

citybreeze

Hi everyone,  this might be a bit if a basic question, but I'm struggling to find the answer.  

While doing an ignition system service, I noticed this connector (highlighted in picture) on the back of the vacuum unit, which isn't connected to anything.  

It looks like it has an 'E' next to it, and seems to be internally linked to the earth point on the top of the distributor.

All my instincts say there should be a wire connecting this to an earth point, but I can't find a loose wire in the engine bay, and the Haynes manual doesn't mention a great deal about the vacuum unit.

Can anyone confirm if this should/shouldn't be connected to earth?  

I've had some issues with a lumpy idle, and can't get the engine to idle below about 1200 rpm (hence why I'm using the club shop ignition service kit), could this have something to do with it? Maybe causing vacuum unit to not work properly or at all?

Many thanks

Matt

20180617_121648.jpg

Spot on. No electrical connection.

A few hints...set the timing,big using a light, with the vacuum pipe disconnected. Something about 10degrees at idle, more like 14 if it won't idle below 1200. Then you need to set the carbs, probably a YouTube video available! Lumpy could be rich mixture, poss choke not returning. Or carbs out of balance.

Test the vacuum unit by sucking the hose with the cap off. If should cause the baseplate to move, and not leak.

Aaah,  I fell into the trap of assuming it was an electrical connection because it looked about the right size/shape for a spade connector. 

I did have an issue with the choke not returning all the way, so I adjusted and lubricated everything so it all moves freely now. 

As for the carbs, they could indeed be out of balance. I can hear a different pitch of 'hiss' next to each of them at the 12-1500 rpm tickover.

I'll get onto the YouTube videos for setting up the carbs. It's something I've never done before, so I want to make sure I get it right! 

I've recently replaced the manifold gasket, so I'll check that again too.

Many thanks for all the suggestions!

1 hour ago, citybreeze said:

I've recently replaced the manifold gasket, so I'll check that again too

Definitely worth doing! I had replaced mine but leaked as did the first replacement - the Payen I finally got worked - http://www.fmecat.eu/selProd2.asp?make=112&model=298&litre=1.3&prdgrp=4&langID=1&engseal=1

Is the one that I think you would need if you do find it leaks. 

Visually, my gasket looks fine, but I'll have a proper check with the engine up to temperature in future.

The one I fitted is a Payen, but is part number JB765 listed for 'BL Cars' rather than JA502 listed at that link. Looks identical though, and looks identical to the one I took off too. 

• Like 1

Do a spray test with something like brake cleaner , oil, diesel, petrol all work if squirtxed on the flanges

In the nuts look grotty expet them to be seized they may appear tight but may not be clamping   see my post on manifold leaks

You fast idle has all the hallmarks of a gasket leak

Balance the carbs unscrew idle screw and turn to just touch, turn in 1.5 turns

Jets raise to be level with the bridge then drop  3  turns 

This gives simpler base settings and small equal adjustments will get it as near as any gadjet ,or hissing tube

This is how carbs were set for the engine line on production.

Another easy test is cut a card to fit in the dashpot tube ans stick out the top, with it idling mark the height on the card,

Swap to 2nd carb and compare the marks  should be similar

Pete

3 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Interesting - mine is the same as yours then and I fitted the JA765. Did it have the metal ring around the inlets?

s-l1600.jpg

Yep, that's the same as mine, with the metal rings.  I'll have a go around it with some brake cleaner tomorrow and see if it's leaking or not.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Clive we have an echo   ha 

pete

Surprised I got in first. I am in the sarf of France, much further (and feeling gummed up with a cold. How does that work, 30degress and catch a cold? It's a conspiracy I tell you.)

Deffo not hayfever, right on the Med with a breeze off the sea. And unusually for France, no rapeseed has been spotted anywhere. Probably a bit early? Actually feeling a bit better, though head feels bunged up, should clear soon. And no digestive issues to report ?

Having fun with one of those electric tennis racquet bug killer things, works well, can recommend. Daughters arriving this evening, flight delayed from yesterday (thank you French ATC) so that will cheer me up

As to well earned, been slogging on a project for just over 2 years, sort of finished bar a few jobs. So soon be feet up time. Actually, when I used to teach, many of us used to get hit by bugs at the start of holidays. Guess the immune system relaxes.... Anybody go a theory or evidence apart from anecdotal?

Anyway apols for the dreaded thread drift. A bit of banter on here is as good as medicine.

4 hours ago, clive said:

hit by bugs at the start of holidays. Guess the immune system relaxes.... Anybody go a theory or evidence apart from anecdotal?

My Dad was a teacher and he often got bugs at the end of the summer term - either way he generally took two weeks to be human again after the traumer of the school year.

I try and take Christmas off - so a couple of weeks - but often find I come down with something when you relax. ?