oil feed

Guppy916

The dizzy being bolted to the block takes on the same temperatures as the block

It maybget a bit of air cooling but hardly anything dramatic 

74c is Low , 82c is standard for uk and  europe .

Jiggle pin a small pin with a sort of ball end that sits in a hole in the rim of the stat, to allow air to bleed out on refills

The hole is sealed by the ball when no flow amd opens a littlemwith flow and a shut stat

A 3mm hole drilled works just as well

Yes its also worth popping a hose  partly off the heater top hose to just let any air escape

Pete

Yes the middle three journals, I don't want to run it too much and ruin another cam 

Pete would that be the hose on the heater control valve, I forgot to say I'm running Evans Waterless Coolant

I've removed the stat at the moment, will the air bleed it's self into the overflow bottle with no stat in

Edited by Guppy916
update

Whatever hose is  the  highest point  just part it a liitle  may get some air out, only takes a few seconds 

Should circulate ok its same as havint the stat fully open

When fitted they open close all the time , sort of modulate to control  the hot ouput against the cool input 

They work a lot more than most appreciate . 

2 hours ago, Guppy916 said:

I've removed the stat at the moment, will the air bleed it's self into the overflow bottle with no stat in

I think they don't work well with no stat in - as there is no back pressure - though don't ask me why :) 

10 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I think they don't work well with no stat in - as there is no back pressure - though don't ask me why :) 

If you consider the design of the water pump housing, I could imagine that having no stat fitted might encourage too much of the flow to only circulate round the radiator and pump, without really passing through the block. It wouldn't work well if that were the case.

Hi guys, Pete no jiggle pin in my stat, just off to my local motor factors for a new 82c stat and gasket, I don't know if I mentioned it to start with, the block has just been bored +20, oil galley plugs removed, one core plug each side of the engine removed, and put into a ultrasonic cleaning tank, when I got it back I flushed it out with the pressure washer, water ways along with the oil ways, then when dry I flushed petrol through the oil ways just to make sure no water was hiding in them

just bashed these two plugs in and flushed the block through, all clean water coming out,

and if I fill it through the hole from the head feed it still flushes out of these two and the front of the block ,

so I don't think I had a coolant problem, unless the problem is in the head ? although the head has been in the ultrasonic bath,

perhaps it's worth popping the head off yet again !

IMG_3648.jpg

Hello Mark, I have asked the same question but not had a reply, I should think any Mk3 GT6 will do, if it's got a 2.5 fitted all the better, and possibly a TR6

now to push my luck any body around the Winchester area could pop in for a coffee 

As Pete says, the original issue was an absence of lubrication to the middle two can bearings.

There is no good reason why this should repeat on a completely different block and build unless there is something badly wrong with the oil gallery cleaning technique. I always pull all the gallery plugs and the dizzy drive bush and hand clean them individually with rifle brushes and carb cleaner.

The only possible way to "cock-up" in the dizzy drive area is not to correctly set the drive gear end float. Too tight might cause excessive heat in that area and put extra load on the middle two cam bearings but I think the signs would be obvious afterwards. 70 - 90C block temps sounds pretty normal to me.

Nick

Hello Nick I'm happy that the oil ways are clean, I didn't pull the dizzy drive bush but did clean the bore, I dropped the oil pump drive into it, then shimmed the pedestal until I had a 10 thou clearance with the pedestal bolted down, and if you stick a screw driver into the dizzy drive slot you can just feel and see the free play, I don't remember doing this on the first rebuild, could that have been the problem with the first build ?

Pete I had to bin them if the wife had seen them, we wouldn't be having this chit chat, they were her new one's 

After running for a while dizzy will be close to block temp 80-90c too hot to handle and will melt some types of rubber gloves, get hold of an infrared temp gun (non contact type) bet its about block temp if so don't worry, have seen 15 or so cam/bearing failures all with the direct in block type cam and they can generate 150c or so on the block in the cam bearing area due to bearing friction, just check with the temp gun for a few days bet its OK, more revs needed? 

Hi Hugh, new infrared gun being delivered Monday, your "close to block temp" is that taken from in-between the oil way plugs, "more revs needed" I was only running

1500/2500 for the very first few miles, Thanks Hugh this is now starting to put my mind at rest, is the 150c a normal running temp over the journals,

and I take it more revs means it's getting more oil

George