oil feed

Guppy916

Could this be the cause of my lack of oil to the cam, these seals were new less than a year ago, from one of our favourite suppliers

please note there are not 12 of them only three were not split. I haven't found the others there not in the sump  so i cut the filter in open  and they are not there either 

IMG_3618.jpg

12 minutes ago, Guppy916 said:

Could this be the cause of my lack of oil to the cam, these seals were new less than a year ago, from one of our favourite suppliers

please note there are not 12 of them only three were not split. I haven't found the others there not in the sump  so i cut the filter in open  and they are not there either 

IMG_3618.jpg

Hello

Are these valve stem seals? I never see how this type could work as they are going to just bob up and down with the valve not wipe the stem and only needed on inlet as exhaust has gas trying to come up but I suppose that may stop pressure but they need oil

Roger

On 6/27/2018 at 10:00 PM, Guppy916 said:

You explained these are valve stem seals.  How can they influence cam (shaft?) oil supply?

JOhn

I have lost three of them some where in the engine (when in use) so i thought they might have blocked an oil way , as my cam shaft and cam journals are completely knackered in only 80 miles of use, the oil pump filter was completely clean when i striped the engine 

Hi Pete, no the journals were in good shape, could it be because I got the shims wrong under the dizzy pedestal, and iv'e no grove in the valve guides for them to fit in,  Also looking at the bottom of the pedestal there is no obvious signs of heat or wear, now i'm paranoid it's going to happen again, all the oil ways were cleaned & flushed through, all the oil galley plugs have been removed for cleaning, and were possible poked through with a nylon rod

IMG_3444 2.jpg

I dont think the pedestal would cause that much heat , its almost like there was No oil at the cam  journal bores

But why ??   nothing you found other than excess wear   and with so much splash or the crank you would not expect a low lube failure 

We know the wear happens but youres had a lot of heat  generated  

Pete

On 6/30/2018 at 7:26 AM, Pete Lewis said:

But why ??

is the question Pete, the ends & mains were in perfect condition, Number 10 rocker the shaft was badly worn, I was also running a separate oil pipe to the head with NO restrictor in,

and because the engine was new I used running In Oil, 

i can only guess it didnt help, and or coupled  with  a journal bore was so worn the gallery lost any supply of meaninfull pressure 

but with all the splash you would think the cam was well   pretty well oiled ,  to generate that level of local heat does seem out the box 

hugh and others have said about oil loss from worn cam  bearing bores ,but ive not been there myself 

Pete

Just done a 5 mile round the village trip, cold oil pressure 80 psi with 65 psi hot at about 2000 rpm & 50 psi on tick over, no horrible noise's, oil pressure goes up with the revs, and regarding dizzy pre load there were no signs of heat or wear, on either the  drive wheel from the cam to oil pump drive, or on the bottom of the dizzy pedestal 

Right guy's I have just done another trip round the village aprox 5 miles oil pressure still 55/60 at 2000 rpm , temp at normal cooling fan on, oil down to 40 psi on tick over, but the dizzy body is too hot to touch 75c ?, aim the the laser at the oil gallery plugs (middle one's) high 80's to 93c the ends are about 10c cooler, could the stat be stuck shut ? drain down time and check stat when it's cooled down 

There is no water cooling anywhere around the dizzy and its drive, likewise non around the cam or oil gallery  

Heat soak means they all take on any amblent block temperature

By all means check you have a 82c stat witha jiggle pin in the rim 

And dont get paranoid about temp varaiations around the engine

Pete

thanks guy's just going to drain it and check stat

stat was a 74c and working, 

Pete should I be worried about the dizzy being to hot too touch,

When I filled the rad I had the engine running, heater on hot, I half filled the overflow bottle, do I need to think about air locks ?

Pete whats this jiggle pin ?