new bodyshell ....

ludwig113

hi all,

kind of thinking out loud here and I'm sure its been brought up before...

but has anyone built a new bodyshell for a GT6 before? are there any jigs to do this around ?

from what I can see every panel is available unless I've missed something.

paul

Are you sure all panels are available? I though some large ones were not (eg roof, screen surround, bulkhead and I think new bonnets are difficult, depending on the marque) let alone some of the smaller bits and bobs.

besides, getting that lot to fit together may be a challenge, getting one new panel can be a nightmare. 

If seriously considering this route, check everything is actually available rather than just listed in a catalogue.

Are you sure all panels are available? I though some large ones were not (eg roof, screen surround, bulkhead and I think new bonnets are difficult, depending on the marque) let alone some of the smaller bits and bobs.

besides, getting that lot to fit together may be a challenge, getting one new panel can be a nightmare. 

If seriously considering this route, check everything is actually available rather than just listed in a catalogue.

like I said I may have missed a few panels but it was more of a thought rather than doing it.

still I cant belive someone hasn't started doing this as people seem to change a lot of bodywork chasing rust, so a new body shell on a spit chassis(for me)would seem like a good option.....

There are an immense number of panels that are no longer available, and for which the press tools no longer exist.

As a rough estimate, it would cost several million pounds to retool just to make the panels that are no longer available.

A typical press tool to manufacture in any significant volume costs at least £50,000, and complex panels need several press tools which are pressed one after the other to form the panel.

To recover the costs, and sell the body shells for a tolerable amount, there would need to be a credible market for at least 1000 body shells, and the bodies would still need to sell for more than £20,000 each.

It just isn't going to happen in the quantity necessary to drive the price down to a reasonable level as the demand just isn't there.

On the other hand, how much would a NOS body shell be worth to someone that wants a "new" car - there are a few out there if you know where to look   ;)

British Motor Heritage made a run of new TR6 body shells about 15 years ago, and I recall that at the time they were selling for between £15K and £20K. 

Although BMH themselves are sold out and will not be making any more, there are a couple of traders that still have them in stock, and the current asking price is in excess of £31K each, including bonnet, doors, and boot lid.

• Like 1

British Motor Heritage made a run of new TR6 body shells about 15 years ago, and I recall that at the time they were selling for between £15K and £20K. 

Although BMH themselves are sold out and will not be making any more, there are a couple of traders that still have them in stock, and the current asking price is in excess of £31K each, including bonnet, doors, and boot lid.

Yes, I also spoke to BMH 6 years back about the possibility of a new Spit shell. During the conversation they told me they had done many of the TR6 panels using "soft tooling" which is much cheaper to make but doesn't last long. They only made a few shells (20? 50? 100? don't remember) and, as KevingR says, told me they wouldn't be making any more as the tooling had worn out. They also said they weren't happy with the quality - I think that means quite a bit of fettling was required to get the right fit. The outcome of the conversation was that there was absolutely no chance of a Spit shell from them and I was better off looking for a Californian import. I think that means the chances of a new BMH GT6 body materialising is nil-minus.

Sorry to be so negative.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...