Boot gap clearance - Vitesse MK2

Paul H

Hi my boot clearances are very poor so much so closing the boot scrapes the interior wing  on the right hand side. I had put this down to body tub spread which is evident, though talking to Pete at the recent meet at Duxford he thought it might be general damage as I believe this body shell had been in storage for a long time and fitted in 2012 . There are many dings to confirm this storage  theory - Both wing clearances are bad though the right is the worst -  Can anybody measure the wing tips so I can compare with my measurements 

1404912140_bootleft.thumb.jpg.5e64795e9986cd9fbd7ce9ab1137278e.jpg1102785449_bootright.thumb.jpg.f47073d6a782fa30d97c71d994675224.jpg

1903898588_rearwing.thumb.jpg.6c28bd2b56d50c4ad65c9d70bf025963.jpg

My measurement across the wings from the arrowed point is 122 centimetres or 4ft in English 

Paul 

I'm getting 123cm.  Hard to hold both ends of the tape measure and read though.

I have a 4-5mm gap each side between the boot lid and tail light trim, but the lid still catches the chrome strip on the LHS.

(Actually, bit sure how valuable this info is.  This is on my Herald 12/50 Convertible in the garage.  It has had the top of a convertible rear tub grafted onto the original wings at the spot weld seam - I wonder how accurately this would have been done.)

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

I am in the Vitesse at work today and have measured the wing tips to be 1220mm.  So the same as yours and yes, my bootlid scrapes the wing too.

One of the rear wings, including the wing top, was replaced (along time ago) and I think the problem stems from this.  I recall speaking to someone (again, a long time ago) who had surgically narrowed their bootlid to overcome the same problem.  They had done such a nice job, the alteration was almost imperceptible.

Tom 

IMG_4163.JPG

• Like 1

Hi thanks for all the replies , on closer examination it looks like the right wing has suffered damage in the past as there is a welded plate under the wing so looks like something heavy landed on it when in storage and bent the wing inwards - I will look to push the wing back in position using a jack and wooden frame . KUP on the progress . Although will be opening up a new thread later on and following your surgically narrowing of the boot lid  has anybody applied this technique to doors which are proud due to body tub spread ?

Paul 

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Instead of starting a new similar thread, hope you don't mind me posting here.

I have just dicovered a similar problem with my nearly finished Vitesse Mk2 Convertible restoration. 

I don't have a problem with the overall width of the boot opening, although not measured as yet., its trying to get the boot lid centralised that is the problem.

This is not helped by fitting new repro hinges, and a good secondhand boot lid.

I have the hinges fitted the correct way around, as these are handed, but when frame and hinges are tightened up, it keeps wanting to pull over to the passenger side. Although not touching there's about a 3mm gap between the rear light chrome trim and the edge of the boot lid. The drivers side has close to 8mm gap.

Iv'e loosened everything off several times, applying pressure over to the drivers side, as its tightened but it ends back up in the same position.

There doesn't seem to be any damage to the frame or boot lid. I was thinking of enlarging the boot lid hinge holes slightly which should allow a little sideways movement, and maybe enough to get the lid more centralised. The handle and latch are not fitted yet, and it did occur to me that moving the catch over towards the drivers side may pull the boot lid over slightly when the handle is turned.

Before I start drilling out the boot lid I thought I better ask, just incase Ive missed something and theres a better solution.

thanks 

Mark

1 hour ago, Bordfunker said:

Is it worth inserting a couple of 5mm spacers in the side that is 3mm before tightening up the mounting nuts to try and stop the gap closing up?

Karl

Hi Karl

I did try a couple of wedges of card between the boot lid and rear wing, but once removed it springs back over. I do have a couple more boot lid frames I could try but I don't think it will make any difference, as the boot lid position seems to be decided by the hinge mounting holes in the boot lid and rear deck. I may try some old hinges, but in the end I want to use the new shiny ones so I may have to resolt to drilling  the boot lid holes out a bit.

Mark

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

As yet I have not fitted the boot stay. The space between the rear deck and boot lid is pretty even. I've been here before, when fitting front and rear tubs, doors, bonnet etc. Trying to get all the alignment close enough. Thought fitting the boot lid would have been straight forward, but I should have known better.

Like you say something maybe slightly twisted. I may dig out the original boot lid and see how it fits. The replacement boot lid looked a  good fit when trial fitted a couple of years ago, it's different when everything is bolted up tight.

Mark