Lifts, Stands etc

PeterH

Getting older the prospect of lying on a cold garage floor gets less attractive.

Does anyone have any experience of the various lifts/ stands etc to raise a car up higher than normal ramps - there are several diffent sorts listed on the internet. I can't afford a full 4-post garage lift and don't want to dig a pit in the floor.

Peter

Peter,

Where do you live?

For the last few years I have used Pitstart Garage which is in Park Royal, North West London (NW10).

They rent out their facilities so you can rent a 4 post lift by the hour. Not cheap, £30 per hour, but it includes the use of any of their tools etc you may require.

I normally put my GT6 on one of their lifts each year so I can have a really good look underneath, check the gearbox and diff oil levels, and change fluids.

I didn't use them when I changed the prop shaft because I was concerned I might get stuck or need something, and the hire charges are running. But I have found the other guys working there are happy to lend a hand. Most of them seem to be working on middle aged Mercs, which might say a lot about Mercs and their reliability, or about the people who live in NW10!

Happy to give you more information if you wish.

John

Thanks John

Sounds like a good idea - unfortunately I live in Devon

Pete

I'd been looking at CJautos website when I posted my original enquiry. They certainly do have a range of lifts - I will probably go for the extending ramps - they seem reasonably priced and give the extra height. I'd like their hydraulic lift but difficult to justify £1500 for the use it would get.

had the full length  CJ ramps/bridges for about ten years , certainly made from titanic specs,  although makes them heavy to store  ,they stand up in the garage if the length is reduced ( they exten to suit all wheel bases ) 

the height is the limiting factor in all these things  wish mine  12 " ramps  were 6 " higher.  doing wax oil in vari focals at close quarters is a challenge.

like a pit if too shallow you cant look up if too deep you cant reach ,  4 posts are great but mechanicals are a bit laborious and if inside you need loads of head room or a lifting garage roof !!!  

the advantage of any ramp with a long lead  (mine have a 5 ft lead  in)  is you get any car up easily no shunting the ramps along or having them shoot out . or spoiler fouling.

Pete

CJ Autos hydraulic ramps are excellent!

Don't take up much storage space

Easy drive on ( folded down height is very small - will clear  spoilers etc)

Pump up hydraulics, then lock  hydraulic rams

Much more access possible than  ordinary( precarious) drive on ramps

Above all feel reassuringly  strong, stable  secure and safe. 

Andrew

Beware of Ebay "bargains".  Often, they are anything but a bargain.

Lots of the 4 post lifts on ebay are worn out and need lots of expensive new parts to make them serviceable again.

They have usually being disposed of from garages, having been condemmed by the Insurance Inspector.

It's usually cheaper for the garage to buy new than repair to the standard necessay to meet the inspection requirements.

You wouldnt want one collapsing on you would you ?

• Like 1

There are plenty of lift option available online. I have a 3000Kg single phase two post lift which works for me. They are not expensive.

www.equipment4garages.com

BUT, apart from the obvious do I have space for one (height and width) remember you need to be able to get round the posts once they are installed, you will need a 30amp supply just to power a single phase lift, and a suitable concrete base (mine is 15cm thick reinforced - is was laid with a lift in mind as was the whole 7mx4m workshop.

Personally, and having had the lift for 4 months now. I wouldn't be without one. It has made tasks such as swapping out a steering rack, replacing suspension bushes, and replacing front springs on a GT6 so easy. It also makes checking the underside and gearbox/diff fluid levels so an easy quick task.

GT6 on LIft

GT6 and workshop

• 2 months later...

As an update.

I've just bought a tilting scissor lift. I've had to go for the adjustable width version as as well as the Spitfire I have a classic Mini.

I've not used it yet but it looks well made - the width adjustment is rather involved as it entails removing and bolting in different cross members and drive shaft connecting the two screw jacks.

I bought from an e-bay trader as he had a good price and offered free carriage. I'm sure the unit is the same (probably far eastern) from all the suppliers.

When I've actually tried it I will post further comments.

• 3 years later...

Old topic resurrection time again.... just bought a nice 2 -post lift for the garage; it looks the part and goes up and down very nicely EXCEPT the arms won't extend far enough to reach the chassis rails on the GT6 and I'm not risking lifting it on the outriggers. Moderns with jacking points, no problem, but the Triumphs are going to require a bit of head scratching. You don't realise how small they are until something like this happens....

The arms extend surprisingly far, but not to the points on the chassis which I want to use to lift the car - the front and rear outrigger mounting points, for example. The Herald chassis must be wider as I can reach suitable points which I'd be happy enough to use, but not the GT6 chassis. As I need to use the natural balance point of the car to spread the weight evenly it's closer to one set of arms than the other, so one pair is hardly extended whilst the others won't reach at all even on full extension. 

I'm going to look at making a form of C-section plate in heavy steel, that will fit across two of the lifting pads on opposite arms - it only needs to be about two feet wide at most, as it's C-section it won't slip off to the front or rear, and with suitably shaped hard rubber pads it will spread the load across the chassis and allow me to use slightly different lifting points. Off on the scrounge to the father-in-law's engineering works tomorrow I go....