Horn

dougbgt6

I have a Moto Lita Steering wheel, the horn works the same way as the original system. A piston through the boss makes contact with a copper disk. However, the piston and disk squeak which ever way up the piston. Annoying!!!!  I broke the Moto Lita centre push removing it, a poor design and am now on my second push. I like the Moto Lita but the horn mechanism is flimsy. I want to move the horn to a column stalk or something suitable. Has anybody done this? 

Doug

just some drift but i have a well pre war  Knorr Bremnse    4 trumpet musical 12v powered horn circa 1928 ?

Beaulieu  have a 6volt and were unaware any 12v were ever made  it needs new reeds from a trumpet , the horns just plays 4 in sequence , the motor and  integral pump  with  4  trumpets all in one unit......being old its quiet  BIG

obviously pretty rare but what to do with it ????

Pete 

Thanks guys (except Pete and Colin, obviously)

Some good ideas. Lubricate the ring, (Oo er Mrs!) OK  but it's going to happen again and I don't want to break another horn push fixing it.

Dashboard horn, like it. Only a couple of £ , but I would have to drill a hole in the dashboard :o no room for error and I might live to regret doing it.

Overdrive stalk, simplest and easy to wire, but how to fit it without getting in the way of the other stalks? Also the horn button really wants to be push and spring off. 

Late spitfire stalk, £38 :( does horn, indicators and lights. Don't need the lights, they're on the other stalk, but I don't have to wire them up.  The column fitting looks very different will it fit?

I'm gonna have to go look at one. 

Doug

I also have a Motolita steering wheel and boss with the same horn set up, but haven't encountered the difficulties you're having Doug. However, when I fitted mine I did end up adjusting the inner / outer column position to increase the separation between the back of the boss and the slip ring. It sounds to me as though the gap is too tight and the plastic housing catching / rubbing. I'd suggest a bit of adjustment before changing the horn set up altogether.

Gully

Pete/Gully, 

It's not the upper part of the push that's the problem, it's the way it attaches to the innards, thin flimsy studs and tiny  grippy washers. Slightest upward pressure and *!@!!*!!

I'm sure I could fix the squeak, that's not the problem. The problem is the horn push mechanism, the original is slack enough to be easily removed, I took it off and on dozens of times for various reasons. Unfortunately the Motolita is so tight that it's easily broken. 

Decided against the Spitfire stalk, my indicator canceling lugs are on the RHD side so I think I need the RHD stalk. This only ran for a short time before they put it on the left. Consequently, hens teeth and silly money.

So  had a look at Ian's link and bought these and an overdrive stalk. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-PAIR-OF-STEERING-COLUMN-COWLS-FOR-TRIUMPH-TR4A-WITH-OVERDRIVE/332258916513?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Doug

I'm slightly bemused - maybe mine has a different horn push? The push in the centre of mine is sealed and contains a switch which has a wire leading to the sprung brush ring sweep in the boss - the switch is mechanically independent of the sprung contact. I assumed yours was the same and the sweep bit was breaking, but sounds a different set up.

Gully

Gully,

My "sealed unit" has a thin strip of metal plate pressing on the sprung piston which "sweeps the boss". It sounds the same. The problem is the Motolita version " sealed unit" is an extraordinarily tight fit in the boss. The first time I took it out the sealed unit burst, it came apart, one of the three internal plastic studs broke off and all three captive washers broke. Unrepairable, had to buy a new one, quite cheap, which makes me think this is a common occurrence. This time it burst again, no broken studs but all washers broken. The sprung wire out the side of the unit which makes contact with the boss is far too tight and the "sealed unit" will break rather than allow itself to be lifted out. I can repair it this time, but it's clear the thing is not up to periodic removal.

Doug

How odd. Mine has a lightly sprung contact clip at the side which holds the centre in place and a removable wire running from the back of the sealed unit to the sprung sweep ring contact. Pulls out easily - just need to look out for the wire pulling on the connection.

Gully