Best GT6 manual

DrKai

Have to say I don't agre with the full parts catalogue - I got one on similar advice when I started, but found that the other books were perfectly adequate.

Hayne's benefit from being based on a the actual strip down and re-assembly of a real car, with lots of photographs. That was Haynes' SOP and they got good at it! The other Haynes book, Porter & William's "Guide to Purchase and DiY Restoration" has the same ethos, with even more pics!

If you hadn't said tha the car "is as far apart as it's ever going to be" I'd say, take your own photos as it comes apart, or and probably better if you can hold a pen and paper (no 'drawing' talent reuqired!), is sketches of how things go together, the order of parts,  washers and spacers etc.     If you can't do that (and anyone can) just listthem in order.

John

I've survived on Haynes and an InterEurope for a long time, they have mistakes, but nothing major that would lead to disaster, typos and wiring diagrams not quite right.

I got a workshop manual for Christmas :),  it is comprehensive, but heavy going, communication was not high on the list in 1970s engineering training! 

Also the print quality on mine is poor, looks like a print from a printer running out off ink. Also the photos, all black and white, look like photos taken off photos, blurry and poor contrast.  Next time I'm up to HQ I'll take it with me and see if the ones on the shelf are the same. Over all not as good as I was expecting for something that cost near £40.

I'll continue with Haynes and Inter and consult the WM if confused.

Doug

Thanks guys will get a Haynes and original and thanks for the link. I've taken a lot of photos of bits that will be going back together as per original and study a lot of diagrams. So have a good idea of where stuff goes. It's more for individual bolt specs, torque settings etc. The real nitty gritty that I imagine will be hard to find

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Hayne's benefit from being based on a the actual strip down and re-assembly of a real car, with lots of photographs. That was Haynes' SOP and they got good at it!

John

I'd agree with John, go for one with lots of photos, or good exploded diagrams. It makes much more sense than text alone.The Lindsay Porter book can be very expensive these days so shop around on-line, particularly for second-hand copies.

Modern Haynes manuals have little photos the size of postage stamps, that in many cases may as well not be there - you can't make them out.

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Modern Haynes manuals have little photos the size of postage stamps, that in many cases may as well not be there - you can't make them out.

The Haynes claim to be based on an actual strip down is rather let down by the Vitesse/GT6 manual being full of photos of a Herald.

I have another slim volume that I bouht in the day, and inckuded many gems.   Practical Classics did a series on restoring a Vitesse and reprinted all the articles.  They did the same for a Spitfire.  I don't think they did a GT6 one, but a Vitesse mechanicals are the same.

Certain to be out of print now.   Amazon has it for £20 used (£116 new!!!!!!!!!)

J.